• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Official Lycos UK Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Cracker
Hey, it's better to leave out one group of people than to lower the features available for everyone.

exactly , why let a few people spoil it for the rest :) ?

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Racism is wrong. I bet that if I went out onto the streets of America using a not-so-polite term to refer to African-Americans, everyone would be furious at me. Hey, there's nothing wrong! It's freedom of speech, right? :rolleyes: Tripod UK is doing the same thing here. They are singling out Asians as the ones who CAN'T join, rather than singling out British people as the ones who CAN join. I have no problem with the latter, but the former situation - it's just outrageous. I don't care if Asians, Africans, or Europeans abuse your service. You either allow everyone, or allow a selected group. Banning a selected group is NOT acceptable.

so your saying that they shouldn't ban groups like KKK from making hate sites?

this

I don't know why lycos.co.uk want people from asia to signup but don't want to use the service(s). They could have blocked them from signing up, I hope that would be better than deleting the account or denying access to certain service(s) later.

There is nothing mentioned in the General Terms & Conditions that lycos.co.uk service is meant only for people from UK. In the signup page Step 3 Personal information -> Country, you can find countries China, India, .... all these are asian countries, or not ? :rolleyes:

I feel like they discriminate people against location and not race. They block people from asia, but not all people from asia are asians and not all people from Europe are Europians. :confused:

Tripod Asia homepage hosting service, is no more, see the info below :confused2

" As of 13 August 2002, our Tripod Asia homepage hosting service will be discontinued. As such sites and files will not be accessible after 13 August 2002.
We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE homepage owners to download their site files, and sign-up with www.tripod.com, as your account will no longer be accessible from 13 August 2002 onwards. Please click here for more details on how to take down your website, and upload to the www.tripod.com. "

Originally posted by CareBear
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word racism. I haven't seen any evidence in this thread that they're discriminating against race.
Can someone with an Asian nationality residing in the UK sign up? Is someone with the British nationality residing somewhere in Asia going to be able to sign up?
How about someone with European ancestors or African? Are they going to be able to sign up if they're in Asia? From this thread it seems no... are they going to be able to sign up if they're in UK? Yes

Think something through before you're going to put a label on something.

Yes, you're right. It doesn't fit exactly with the definition of racism, but maybe you should learn to see things a little less literally...

Hey, it's better to leave out one group of people than to lower the features available for everyone.

Yeah, and what if a host offered hosting on an OC-3 connection with all the scripting languages imaginable, all the databases imaginable, 1 GB of space, 20 GB of transfer, no file size limit, FTP, SSH, Telnet, no ads, and a legal document stating that they will be up for 5 years or you can sue them...to everyone except those living in the US, Canada, or any country in the EU? :confused:

Yeah, and what if a host offered hosting on an OC-3 connection with all the scripting languages imaginable, all the databases imaginable, 1 GB of space, 20 GB of transfer, no file size limit, FTP, SSH, Telnet, no ads, and a legal document stating that they will be up for 5 years or you can sue them...to everyone except those living in the US, Canada, or any country in the EU? :confused: [/B]
Sounds like a good spot for my next vacation and a trip to the local cybercafe to sign up there :D

I think most people do get your point that it's unfair to those that can't sign up but nobody knows exactly why either.
Would you still press them so hard if they did an audit and found out that the only way for them to keep offering free space was to disallow some countries? Or would you let them go down like so many others have just for the principle?

If it's a move they've done in order to ensure that they can keep that service running I think whatever action they take is justified.
If for the sake of arguement it was part of some "let's boycot the Asians" then sure yes it's unethical and I agree but we don't know.
I'd personally lean towards the first reason then the second.

Originally posted by CareBear
Sounds like a good spot for my next vacation and a trip to the local cybercafe to sign up there :D

I think most people do get your point that it's unfair to those that can't sign up but nobody knows exactly why either.
Would you still press them so hard if they did an audit and found out that the only way for them to keep offering free space was to disallow some countries? Or would you let them go down like so many others have just for the principle?

If it's a move they've done in order to ensure that they can keep that service running I think whatever action they take is justified.
If for the sake of arguement it was part of some "let's boycot the Asians" then sure yes it's unethical and I agree but we don't know.
I'd personally lean towards the first reason then the second.

Hehe...well, Tripod UK blocks FTP access, so even if you signed up in another country, you still couldn't use the FTP service. :p

I think that if they must ban countries, then they should at least be honest about it. They should admit it in their TOS and on their front page. Right now, they're deleting people's accounts just because they asked a simple question about why FTP was being blocked. They deleted my account (which contained only 1 page - entirely in English!) because I complained about Asia being blocked to their support staff. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact that they're not being honest about it. It's not really the actual blocking of Asia that bugs me - I've already seen too many hosts that do that - it's the dishonestly. :(

Well, if this is true, it's no wonder I wasn't able to access my site or maintain it. At least they let me keep my email.

I couldn't find that post where the person was saying where are the Chinese free hosts. A lil' something called communism prevents that.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Majin
I couldn't find that post where the person was saying where are the Chinese free hosts. A lil' something called communism prevents that.:rolleyes:

Umm...China's not really a Communist country anymore, even though they continue to claim that they are. There are such things as Chinese free hosts - they are just few and far between (and to tell you the truth, most of them aren't too great anyway and go bankrupt after a few months).

My point.. No one is rich enough to get a successful host going.

Oh, if a couple billion USD isn't a lot to you, then I guess that no one here really is rich enough.

Bill Gates lives in China?:confused:

J/k

Who has a couple billions USD..:eek:

And how do they go bankrupt.

Well, obviously no billionaire is dumb enough to start a free host. ;)

And some statistics...if you look at a true Communist country like North Korea, it's doing a whole lot better that a democratic republic like Tanzania.

North Korea GDP per capita: $1310
Tanzania GDP per capita: $660

:confused2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back