• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The big guys?

Agum

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I registered a domain. Back in my days (2000-ish), there was only NetworkSolutions (that just came out from being monopoly) and Joker, and some newer ones like godaddy just came out.

I was wondering nowadays who is considered "the big guys" in domain registration and who has the best service and cheapest among them? All these years I've been under the impression that Joker was the cheapest ($12 now), but today I'm browsing around and found most places to be cheaper ($10 or less). I'm looking at Verio since I think I always hear their name.

Which one of the big guys do you recommend?

Hmm, I've never really trusted godaddy before for some reasons, when they first came out I think their name was too funky, and I never heard good things about their hosting.

However, coming upon this thread:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=310124
I've lost the last bit of trust I would have for them. Here's a quote:
This happened to me before and I called GoDaddy support to register the domain because I was out of town and didnt trust the internet I had available. Turns out they refunded shortly afterwards and that a GoDaddy employee had registered the domain. I called support and threatened suit and ended up winning the domain and getting the employee terminated. They also sent me a $50 gift card.
So apparently if you register a good enough name, their employees have a habit of taking it over and telling you it was registered before you did and refund you. I will seriously never ever register my domain with a company like that. I'd rather pay $35 to go with NetworkSolutions.

Hmm, I've never really trusted godaddy before for some reasons, when they first came out I think their name was too funky, and I never heard good things about their hosting.

However, coming upon this thread:
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=310124
I've lost the last bit of trust I would have for them. Here's a quote:

So apparently if you register a good enough name, their employees have a habit of taking it over and telling you it was registered before you did and refund you. I will seriously never ever register my domain with a company like that. I'd rather pay $35 to go with NetworkSolutions.
I have seen a few complaints similar to that. However it is a very small number considering the massive number of domains that are registered there. Every company will have a small number of dissatisfied clients and some of these will be because of problems that were actually the clients problems. I am not endorsing Godaddy, I am just pointing out the obvious facts.

I personally have used a few different registrars, and have had the best luck with Yahoo! Domains believe it or not.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/

A dollar or two more than normal [10/year] but have never had an issue with their service. Even though Yahoo is a big name, they aren't exactly a big hitter in domain registration, but I've been very happy with them.

Namecheap here too. Have had 6/7 domains with them. Use a Coupon, and you can get it for $7.98/$7.99, and you get Free WHOIS protection.

17 domains with Namecheap. Never had much of a problem with them! - Support is great to.

GoDaddy are horrible.

I reckon NameCheap are the best bet out there right now, but if you're not that fussed about user control (still pretty easy IMO) then DomainSite is equally as good, but a couple of dollars cheaper.

What have you had issues with Godaddy? I have about 10 domains registered with Godaddy and have had no major issues with them as a REGISTRAR However my vBulletin was hacked and I requested a backup put into place and they charged me $150 without my consent. They are good for Registrar, just I don't recommend them as a webhost provider.

Back