• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The ASP.NET vs. PHP or PERL debate!

guitarnerd

Microsoft owns all
NLC
I am getting deeper and deeper into using ASP.NET and C#. It can do anything and is completely ahead of it's time compared to PERL or PHP or any other non-windows based language...

Let me hear some of your statements

I don't like windows servers. Therefore my vote goes to Perl/PHP. Besides, Perl wasn't supposed to be used on the web, it was just a way to do a lot of things on Unix boxes a long time ago, and it eventually migrated to the web. Thats also why many CPanels are written in Perl.

More complicated to use, less features, no good languages (.NET is a billion times better), Stability comes from management you can't crash a *nix box as easy because it doesn't have any features, it has better "cpu utilization" because it has nothing to use the CPU, it doesn't use resources because there are no features that can do so.

If you know how to use windows then it will not crash

Perl wasn't supposed to be used on the web
By that logic, C++ was never supposed to be used to make Windows programs. Perl, C/C++, and many other languages are general purpose, they're not meant to do anything particular. Each can, of course, have its strong and weak points, but that's not to say this in any way limits their use. It's folly verging on foolishness to say one is better than the other and leave it at that. Even to promote one for specific tasks is oversimplifying things.

Popularity contests are never good, but it's a sad day indeed when the contestants of them are programming languages. I still stand by my previous statements: Purple is better than blue in every way, and orange isn't even on the field.

Honestly I just like to see if people even know what ASP.NET can do. A lot of people don't know what it is so they stick to there current knowledge

Spread the love

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Check out my new site
JuneBugHunter.NET
see what .NET can do

Am I missing something? Apparently .NET can do soemthing I can do in DreamWeaver.

Oh here we go! "Server Error in '/JuneBugHunter' Application." So thats what .NET can do! Consider me sold! Where do I sign up and empty my wallet? Thank you Microsoft! I didn't need that money anyways... Long live PHP...

PS: The sarcasm expressed in this post does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the poster.

Last edited:
Cared enough to respond...and if you respond to this that means you cared enough to respond twice. so obviously you cared a certain amount

More complicated to use, less features, no good languages (.NET is a billion times better), Stability comes from management you can't crash a *nix box as easy because it doesn't have any features, it has better "cpu utilization" because it has nothing to use the CPU, it doesn't use resources because there are no features that can do so.

If you know how to use windows then it will not crash

Yet you get all those useless services in a windows server, bla, bla, bla. With Linux, you can run it in Terminal mode, yet it will still run programs such as apache, mysql, hell even asp(apache:asp or chillisoft).

Most of those features in Windows are useless.

No, that is called lack of knowledge. That is called not knowing how to use it. You just say linux is better out of fear of windows cause you don't understand it.

Maybe I'm blunt but that is what it sounds like. Windows are the best operating systems in the world.

Most of those services can be disabled, or aren't installed by default. I don't use any of that crap either, but I still use Win2k for it's stability. PHP and MySQL run great on it. ;)

Woo hoo! Linux is great. Where I work we have a few linux boxes. Mainly to help us manage the network. 4000 people are employed where I work (Tulare County Office of Education) and there is no way that we could ever use linux for all of are stuff. It just doesn't support enough. The guys here program stuff in VB and are slowly moving over to C# and VB.NET. Linux just could not do here.

I am the IS Intern here so I get to do all the left over work. Yesterday I installed Win2k Advanced Server on a server with

Quad Xeon 2.2ghz processors
4gb ram
and all SCSI drives totally out to 170gb of hdd space

Linux could just not compare

(Tulare County Office of Education)

Tulare CA? I use to live there, when I was uhh...1. :D Sadly, I dont remember much of it...but I do remember a little. :p

Back