• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Thank you, Windows Update

foo2thabar

NLC
For using up a full gigabyte on the last update, completed a few minutes ago. I now have 372mb of free space left on the JEEBUS drive.

Can anyone tell me how to strangle Bill Gates through my monitor?

Or has that function not been built into Toshiba laptops yet? I knew they were falling behind.

Dammit.

Are they just temp files? Try running cleanmgr and see if clears up. I would hope the updates aren't that huge but then again I rarely pay attention.

Are they just temp files? Try running cleanmgr and see if clears up. I would hope the updates aren't that huge but then again I rarely pay attention.

Na just MS, I've had 10G of $NtUninstallKB folders in /windows on many a machine (the MS update uninstallers) and Tosh can't answer why there is an inaccessible/undocumented 2G partition on one of our new laptop HDD's - is it the self destruct partition? I feel your pain Ben.

That's like when I had 40 MB of temporary internet files because I forgot to set IE7 to purge the temp internet files when it closed. Also, on the Add/Remove Programs control panel, there's a handy check box in the top left that says "Show Updates." Click it and you can remove updates. Unless you're using Vista, then I don't know what that CP looks like.

For using up a full gigabyte on the last update, completed a few minutes ago. I now have 372mb of free space left on the JEEBUS drive.

Can anyone tell me how to strangle Bill Gates through my monitor?

Or has that function not been built into Toshiba laptops yet? I knew they were falling behind.

Dammit.

I believe if you close the laptop lid, unplug it from the wall and kick it as hard as you can the problem will go away completely.

LOL Then be sure to repair it and install Linux hehehe

The best idea would have been to completely delete the partition using Ubuntu setup. That way, you can't install Windows XP on it again without the third-party drivers to support the new partition format that Linux (ext3 I believe) uses.

There's probably a thousand things you should do to keep your computer running smoothly, however it's all a ruddy waste of time in the end when someone gets you with a virus or and spy|mal-ware, so with all of my computers I use nLite to change the windows setup, I change the "Documents and Settings" folder to a networks drive or seperate partition, when installing, I use the same drive / partition, then I delete windows every 6-8 weeks and install it again, it takes 15-25 minutes to reinstall windows and an hour or so to install or reinstall all the programs I use frequently .......

Sure linux is good, but it's not everyday, as much as I would love it to be it just isn't, I have it installed on more than one pc here, however I can't use it for most of everything I do ........because most of everything I do revolves around other computer users, windows users ........

Sure linux is good, but it's not everyday, as much as I would love it to be it just isn't, I have it installed on more than one pc here, however I can't use it for most of everything I do ........because most of everything I do revolves around other computer users, windows users ........

That's why Wine is being developed for Linux users, although it's pretty buggy right now.

It's been in development for years, and will always be buggy, it cannot run fully blown windows products properly ( maybe games, but not IDE's and such ), it doesn't do a good enough job to rely on it, the only viable option is to use a VM, but then if you're going to install windows you might aswell do it properly.....

Plus for me, it's doubly useless because anything you produce inside the WINE environment would rely on a wine dll ......

Anyone remember the reg key that has that wonderfull MFT 'allocate it just in case' value which by default can rocket your MFT space usage?

The best idea would have been to completely delete the partition using Ubuntu setup. That way, you can't install Windows XP on it again without the third-party drivers to support the new partition format that Linux (ext3 I believe) uses.

LOL i think you misread the post..i was speaking after following krakjoes advice of kicking it against the wall :lol:

Na just MS, I've had 10G of $NtUninstallKB folders in /windows on many a machine (the MS update uninstallers) and Tosh can't answer why there is an inaccessible/undocumented 2G partition on one of our new laptop HDD's - is it the self destruct partition? I feel your pain Ben.

I only have about 300MB of the $NtUninstallKB folders. Damn. Running cleanmgr right now, but all it's willing to give up is about 17MB

And I'm going to buy a USB HDD (there's a 250GB Western Digital MyBook for $100 at best buy) after I buy a Nikon D40, and after my roadtrip to New Orleans next week.

And then after I buy a new laptop, this one's getting Linux. I already have a desktop that I've thrown every imaginable linux distro at ... well, not really, but a lot of them. Currently Gentoo, and it pisses me off because I never realized how long compiling large programs (eg. Open Office suite) actually takes ...

[edit]
YES! I deleted all but the most recent restore point via cleanmgr, and now I'm up to 2.29GB. Give me that ----ing gigabyte you stole from me, Microsoft!!!!!

Last edited:

Just a little fyi.. if you delete the partition and put a linux partition on it, the windows cd will still be able to delete it and create it's own partition.. you don't need any third-party drivers or anything.

Just a little fyi.. if you delete the partition and put a linux partition on it, the windows cd will still be able to delete it and create it's own partition.. you don't need any third-party drivers or anything.

Not my Ubuntu installation, windows CD says it can't find any harddrives when it tries to boot installation. Milwaukee PC said I need third-party RAID drivers.

Not my Ubuntu installation, windows CD says it can't find any harddrives when it tries to boot installation. Milwaukee PC said I need third-party RAID drivers.

If your drives are on a RAID controller you wil need those for the startup of windows setup, F5 key if I remeber right during thye initial loading of setup. Put them on floppy as setup has trouble dealing with anything else during that step (due to the fact it's to load mass storage drivers).

Back