• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Text Message Support

smc_

Hello,

Just wanted to know how some of you feel offering text message support?

Since we re-opened it has been a very good feature to advertise.

Shaun
365 HOSTING

That's an interesting feature. I haven't even thought about that since it would be similar to our Live Chat. Do you use a special service to do this or just give out your mobile number?

I honestly don't see how you could use that feature unless it's a one-man operation or something. I guess you could always receive the text on one phone and automatically forward it to everyone else's phone? I have no idea.

When we get a support ticket, for example, it gets re-routed depending on the service, datacenter location, etc. If it's a reboot/outage in Los Angeles, the techs there will get the ticket automatically and handle it. If it's a general query, it just goes to the general support folk.

I'm really sure how you would manage anything like that with text messaging, unless, as I mentioned you're just a one man operation handling all the support yourself.

That's what I thought wswd, so started to think he must be using some service to forward texts to an app or email.

I would not utilize SMS as an appropriate method of support. It could possibly be used for sales inquiries, however technical support is going to require a computer with internet access that has administration tools and access to administrative portals.

[JSH]John;1171250 said:
That's an interesting feature. I haven't even thought about that since it would be similar to our Live Chat. Do you use a special service to do this or just give out your mobile number?

You can take a voip number and create a redirect that when you receive an SMS it create a ticket on your ticket system.

Though You will need to do some programming to archive that.

Back