• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Temperatures

EpidemiK

NLC
Is it normal for the bottom of a router to be extremely hot?

Is it normal for the bottom of a laptop to be extremely hot with a wireless notebook adapter card inserted? When I take it out, the metal is so hot that I can barely hold it in my hands.

I'm wouldn't be surprised if one day my desk caught on fire. :mad:

I have a switch and two hubs and none of them is significantly warmer then room temperature.. I don't see how a router would be any different.
Does it have an external or internal power supply? :confused:

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Originally posted by CareBear
I have a switch and two hubs and none of them is significantly warmer then room temperature.. I don't see how a router would be any different.
Does it have an external or internal power supply? :confused:

I don't know .. but it has an AC adapter .. :confused:

Should I elevate it so that it has room to vent cool air?

Its usually always better when its in a room where its well vented.

As it gets hotter, performance wise, it should slow down a bit. Everything does anyway when it gets too hot. :)

I don't know what will happen, but maybe you can put a pack of ice under your desk...

I believe safety precautions have been taken to prevent it from overheating (after one guy got his penis burnt).

Or in your BIOS, check whether the heat fan is set to always on.

Originally posted by CareBear
Our 5 routers (one Cisco 2514, the others are Cisco 2501s) are signifcantly warmer than our switches (Cisco Catalyst 1900s) and hub (Intel rackmountable, don't remember the model off-hand). Even the routers aren't really that warm, but our rack does have pretty good ventilation.

We have a couple of small Netgear hubs though, and those things are hot enough to roast your hands on most days.

My Linksys BEFSR41 router is hotter than my 3 DLink DSS-5+ switches, but it's normal.

It also depends on which way the laptop was designed. I have a Toshiba that stays cool during the winter and summer, but now my new one, a Compaq, turns into a space heater even though summer isn't here yet. The Compaq felt good in the winter tho =P

I'm gonna move my laptop and table next to the A/C when summer comes along so it don't fry, but I'm set for 4 years since I got warranty on it =) I hope it burns next summer so they'll replace it with a newer model with better specs =P

- SF

Back