• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Switching to Linux (Unix)

acoolguy

I currently have a computer with a celeron processor, 32MB RAM, and Win98. I am considering switching to Linux since I have heard so much about its performance as compared to the Win OS and many other OSs for that matter. I have also noticed that many serious computer gurus are running Linux. Now I have several question so that I can determine if this is a suitable option for me:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to switching from Win to Linux and vice versa? Why do most people switch in the first place?

2. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

3. If I finally decide to switch, I am worried about the fact that I have many important files on my computer that are only compatible with MS Office. I am aware that there are free programs avaliable for Linux, that would allow me do word processing, etc., but is there anyway to convert my files? Also we have PCs and MACs at school, I can currently work on the same files at home and at school, would Linux allow me to do this?

4. If I decide to make the big switch where do I get the software, what version should I get? How do I install it, as I have never formatted my hard drive, etc? Where do I get other software that I might need? Do I need to worry about drivers, say for my printer?

5. I have a 56k (winmodem, I think?) and I am currently using a couple of free ISPs, what are my options under Linux?

6. Did I miss anything?

If anyone can help me answer these questions or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time and consderation!

I'll just say that there are some versions of linux that are pretty GUI-window like driven, and some linux products do a good job of installing drivers for more of a plug-n-play windows type expereince. I can't remember the version I'm thinking of off hand, but go to a computer store and check 'em out. You might be better off paying for a $50 copy that is more of an inbetween for the first experience. Just a suggestion...

Ok... I'm pretty sure that Staroffice (which comes with most distibutions of Linux) work fine with MS Office files. Also your winmodem will not work under Linux, so you may want to buy a new modem. If your new to Linux, try buying Linux Mandrake, which is geared for newer users.

also you won't be able to use any current free isps with linux since they all require you to download their program that shows their ads.

I have a question(s) to add to this thread...

1. Are there many differences between Mandrake Linux and Red Hat Linux? What are the major ones if any?

2. I have DSL with an Efficient Network Speed Stream modem, hooked into a 3Com HomeConnect hub. Will this set up work with Linux?

3. What is the best program to allow multiple OS's to be installed, and prompt you which you would like to start up when you turn the PC on?

Answer to question 1. Mandrake is more geared for newbies and is easier to use and set up. Red Hat is created for more advanced users with previous knowledge of Linux.
Answer to question 2. Does your computer use some program in your startup to connect you to the internet? If so, it probably won't work with Linux. But it doesn't hurt to ask the provider of the program if a Linux version of the software is available.
Answer to question 3. Partition Magic comes with Boot Magic, and those make a nice pair. System Commander is also nice for this job.

Back