• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Suggestion for USB wireless adapter

Agum

Hi all,

I have a problem with some wireless setup in my house. Basically I have a router in one room in the house, and there is a desktop PC in another room which is just on the opposite corner of the house. Currently I have a Motorola USB wireless adapter on it, it works, but the signal is weak and disconnection is pretty often. (it's just that kind of distance) However I noticed that my centrino laptop is able to receive the signal pretty well from this exact location (> 50%) and never disconnects. So my question is, what is a good USB wireless adapter that is comparable to the reception of a centrino laptop's reception?

* would like USB because the PC's PCI slots are kind of full.

Thanks!

-Agum

Sheesh - without doing a building survey it's tricky.

The thickness of walls - nearby electrical apps - all count.

I do favour the Netgear WAP's, as in it works for me, using an Intel laptop 3945ABG wireless about 50 yards from the house in the garden and still okay.

More info on 'house' especially, and others to connect would help us help you.

I favour PCI cards as they have always been more reliable for me and some clients then USB sticks. The USB sticks like to crap out without warning. They also can be bumped into the wall, and break. PCI cards are securely in place, and don't take up precious USB ports. I have 8 on my computer, and I could always have more.

I know i have an adapter which means i know have 8 but with printer mouse keyboard, scanner, hardrive, ipod it ridiculous :)

At home we have incredibly thick walls, its an old house, but i use, an old and decomissioned go anywhere card that use to belong to my dad , and the thing just about works, then again thats PCI so not much help, there are hundreds of usb devices, im sure one would fit your needs

Sheesh - without doing a building survey it's tricky.

The thickness of walls - nearby electrical apps - all count.

I do favour the Netgear WAP's, as in it works for me, using an Intel laptop 3945ABG wireless about 50 yards from the house in the garden and still okay.

More info on 'house' especially, and others to connect would help us help you.

I honestly don't know how thick the walls are, just by looking at them with my eyes I would think around 4-5 inches? Technically there is "open space" between the two rooms in the sense that we never close any doors in our house - don't know if that matters at all or do the waves just travel through walls. The direct distance is maybe 30~40 ft, I am kind of bad at estimating distances. As for electrical apps, basically regular stuff in a house, like TV, Stereo, DVD player, VCR, DirecTV cable box.. Nothing out of ordinary (amount or types).

I think the main clue is that since my centrino laptop works very well at that distance, basically I just need something that works about as good as it.

[edit] Oh, and my wireless router is Linksys if it means anything.

Last edited:
Back