• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

subdomain question

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
I am trying to figure out how to create subdomains such as example.sitename.com

Instead of having it like sitename.com/example.

I thought it worked by creating a new directory via ftp, but it still only allows me to access it by going to sitename.com/example

If you have created directory then it works only yourdomain.com/subdomain and if you have created subdomain using control pannel then it can works both type yourdomain.com/subdomain and subdomain.yourdomain.com
If you have any control pannel then log in with account and create subdomain via subdomain option.

Same advice: "Create" a subdomain in your control panel first, then the contents of that directory will show up in your subdomain. Creating a subdirectory isn't enough because the webserver needs to know you intend it to be a subdomain (something your control panel sets for you when you use the Subdomain feature).

If you have access to your DNS Server, then you need to make an A entry on your TLD.

I.E.

TLD - google.com

IP ADDRESS A GOOGLE.COM
IP ADDRESS A SUBDOMAIN.GOOGLE.COM

Otherwise, use your control panel program to create the subdomain name and point it to your Directory.

Did you get it sorted :)

If not do you use a control panel or are you using your domain suppliers?

Most have a bit to do that but it can be pretty hidden if you don't know what your looking for.

Just shout if your still needing help :)

I am using cpanel cp.

I created a subdomain.maindomain.com which works. However, when visiting it, instead of it staying like subdomain.maindomain.com it redirects it to maindomain.com/subdomain. If that is someone would want it, then why not just create a direct via ftp?

Last edited:
Did you assign a folder to that subdomain ? You must do that when you're creating the subdomain in cPanel.

Did you assign a folder to that subdomain ? You must do that when you're creating the subdomain in cPanel.

I went to cpanel, clicked on subdomain, typed the name for the subdomain, and choose the mail domain I wanted it for, and then created it.

As far as folders in it. It just has the default cgi folder.

Lol, try to delete the subdomain and re-create it with another folder (/home/account/public_html/subdomainname). cgi folder is reserved for cgi applications.

Sometimes the directory just as /home/account/public_html/subdomainname, but the folder showed in the ftp could be different, just modify it through ftp account in your cPanle.

Sounds as if it went right, when cPanel creates a sub domain (make sure you don't already have a folder of the same name or it will fail) it creates the sub domain folder and the CGI-BIN folder within it (this is standard, leave it alone). try the cPanel file manager to upload a file to the sub-domain folder (simple index.html, hello page) then browse to your sub domain and see if you get the index.html or something else (if you get something else check your cPanel redirects and see if there's one there referring to the sub-domain. Forget all the other stuff just now till you get the sub working, and remember it may take a couple of hours for you to see the change dependent on a few things, so don't rush to make more changes if it's not there straight away.

Back