• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Stonerocket to stop providing free cpanel hosting

Sitebee

UFO Hunter
NLC
Hello Stonerocket members and visitors.

My name is Chris and I`m the founder of Stonerocket, I have a very important announcement to make which will affect some of you.
From the 1st January 2012 we will not longer be providing free web hosting to our members. This is due to a few reasons, the main one is that I`m no longer prepared to carry funding paying for the dedicated server bills. Our main revenues mainly come from advertisements placed around the website, with the tough economic climate our streams of revenue generated from advertisements have dramatically dropped over the last 18 months or so. We went from generating enough revenue to cover the cost of running the free hosting service and giving away free domains plus a little extra left over, to only covering about 50% of the server bills.
Which is in despite the website gaining more and more traffic each month the ad revenues has continued to slowly decrease each month.

The last 10 months or so I have been subsidising the rest of the bills and any freebies given away out of my own pocket, which I did not mind as I earn a modest income myself. Which leads me into the next reason, Stonerocket has been providing free web hosting since 2005 and in truth I have become “to be honest” immune to it, I no longer lack the passion to keep paying server bills each month.

I have less and less time for managing the free hosting service, In my opinion If it gets to that stage then you should no longer be in the game, We do have volunteer staff that work hard in assisting in running the free hosting service and I thank them all with the greatest respect for all the hours, months and years they donated to helping in creating a very popular and stable web hosting provider.

So where does it go from here? Well I`d like to point out Stonerocket is NOT closing down, we are discontinuing the free web hosting service, from the 1st January 2012 Stonerocket free web hosting server will be taken offline. That gives all of our free web hosting users just under a month to relocate to a provider of their choice, we can assist in helping you relocate to another provider should you require it.

As mentioned before Stonerocket website will remain open, all our features such as web templates, SEO tools, forums etc, will remain open. We also have new features planned to be launched in the new year!

Back