• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Stay away from SI!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebird

Hi all,

This is about the ridiculous business model from popuptraffic.com, which is part of SI (www.standardinternet.com)

I used popuptraffic from October 2001 and I earned more than $80 in November, and then more than $100 in December 2001.

This is what happened.

According to the schedule, they should mail the check to me by the mid dec. 2001. I still haven't got the check last week, so I wrote to ask popuptraffic to check the status for me. I was so surprised to find that my account was deleted yesterday and got a reply from Tony (from popuptraffic) telling me my account was deleted because all the traffic was from China.

I was very angry and felt being cheated.
1. According to the webtrendslive, more than half of the traffic was from North America. Even if popuptraffic don't count the traffic from China, they should count the traffic from the other countries, like Canada and US. Why my whole account was deleted?
2. It was a lie from popuptraffic that all my traffic was from China. I used to have zoneedit's service to redirect my domain to an IP, and as you may or may not know, zoneedit's service was blocked by China Telecom, which means whoever reached my site, most of them were not from China.
3. Why they didn't tell me earlier???!!! According to the schedule, they should mail me the check by the mid December, which also means they had the excuse to delete my account at that time. But they didn't do anything but let the banners popped up on my web, until I asked for my status last week.

I think popuptraffic delibrately planned to use my site to generate money for them, even they know they will delete my account later.

I posted the problem at its own forum, and my post got deleted within minutes, I posted again, they deleted again. I asked why they deleted my post and why they are afraid of the truth to be heard, they deleted my post and delete my account at the forum.

It's not an honest way to do business!!! I trusted it, so I didn't make any copies. Now everything is gone and they don't reply my messages anymore.

I think they are cheating people and I am asking for your guys' opinions.
1. Is there any way to get the money back?
2. Besides reporting it to BBB, what other busienss department can I report this problem?
3. What are the websites and forums that people diccuss the online ads? I would like to spread the word there.

Thank you very much for the help!

By the way, my web is about the smilies and avatar collections. I am trying to re-do the site, so it's just a plain web now.
www.hiforums.com.

Last edited:
No, I suggest you remove most from your original post and start a new thread which is set out as in the guidelines.

Greetings,

Many people claim to have had bad run ins with SI, while 10 fold more are always ready to back SI up.

Adbility.com has a review of Standard Internet which is not entirely favourable. You might want to review that.

As per #2 and #2 of your second list of questions:

2. There are a few places you can go to, besides the BBB, to voice your concerns.

- A forum like this. Although most forums won't tolerate it, FWS actually allows you to post a complaint.
- AdSense.org (a site run by me, approach with extreme prejudice, as Peo would likely say) takes investigations if you're willing to go to the effort to properly put together a Claim Portfolio.

Farewell,

<<< mod edit >>> some parts of this message have been removed for abuse /Peo

Hello,

Mr. Song Chen has left out some relevant information.

-Mr. Chen lives in China and asked SI to change his address to a drop box in California. (25XXX Industrial Blvd. APT. Z 2309)

-The admin asked Mr. Chen for a USA Social Security Number (as required by USA law) and Mr. Chen provided an fake SSN.

-The admin checked Mr. Chen's account and found approximately half of the traffic coming from: http://www.hiforums.com/vb.html and the other half coming from http://www.ChineseNet.net. It is doubtful that either of these pages (particularly the 2nd page, since it's blank) get the quantity of unique visitors daily to accumulate the earnings shown on the account.

-At the same time is was discovered that all (100%) of Mr. Chens traffic was from open proxys in China.

-Mr. Chen was "running" our pop-behind program, of which 100% of the inventory goes to our in-house CPA program, CellularPhones.com. There is no benefit whatsoever to SI in keeping Mr. Chen's "traffic".

The admin correctly terminated the account for fraud and notified Mr. Chen of said termination.

I can't believe how stupid you are, Robert!

1. I am living in California, and my first address with SI in in another city of California. I moved the the new address in October 2001 and of course I asked SI to change the address for me.

2. The SSN I provide is a real one. Please tell me why you think it's a fake.

3. hiforums.com provides the avatars and smilies for people to use in different forums, of course people check what I have there.
I just moved my site to cyberwings and I want to redesign the whole site. More content will be added. Feel free to check it at http://hiforums.com/ I asked people at webhostingtalk.com to check the connectivity with cyberwings and I told them I was thinking of redesigning the whole site and more contents would be added later. I just got one professional who would do customized avatars for me for free.

4. Regarding Chinesenet.net, right now I am not sure what forum scripts to use. if you want, check chinesenet.net/forums and http://chinesenet.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi. Before I decide what to use, I prefer a black page. What's wrong with this? This is a recent change.

Now SI guy,

Would you please when did you know all those informaiton?
I belive you knew it since mid December last year, right? Because that's the time you need to send me the check. Why you didn't delete my account at that time? You simply didn't delete it because you still wanted to use my site to generate money for you.

Why you didn't post this kind of reply at your own forum and let your forum visitors know what si had done. You simply deleted my posts and my account. It seems to me that you are afraid that the truth would be heard.

By the way, if you want, call me directly to check whether I am in US or China. Then you will see how ridiculous you are.

Hi Jan,

Because of Robert, I don't think I need to modify anything anymore. Thanks.

Matt, Thanks. I will visit all those forums to spread the word and seeking advices and help.

Last edited:
I just changed the "si guy" to Robert. and you admitted you are stupid. That's very good.

Do you dare to answer my questions?

Mr. Chen,

The page you now claim that sent the traffic, http://chinesenet.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

is a web forum with exactly 13 posts. How you're managing to get thousands of popbehinds form it is obviously something that a person as stupid as I cannot comprehend.

And the referring url showing in your stats was http://www.ChineseNet.com, not http://chinesenet.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

I'm also curious as to why none of your pages have any advertising whatsoever. With all of your traffic you are certainly forgoing some great opportunities for earning income.

Also, The SSN you provided was issued to a woman, born in 1965, in Pennsyvania (that is all the info given to us by the Social Security Administration when we do a query). As there is certainly some mixup we will contact the Social Security Administration and document the obvious error on their part. We have been spot checking SSN's since 1999 and have probably ran 20,000 SSN's through their system and we have yet to find an instance where the Social Security Administration had an incorrect number in their database, but there is always a first time and we'll assist in any way we can to get this error corrected.

I've spent all the time I can spend on your situation. I highly recommend that you complete the requirements for a full, honest, and impartial investigation at Matt's fine website, adsense.org. You and he have lots in common. You should arrange a traffic trade. :)

Last edited:
Robert,

First of all, you didn't answer my questions. I have a list of questions for you. Please answer my questions.

Now, let me answer yours first.
I don't know what's wrong about the SSN, but I think I provided the real one. I couldn't think of any reasons why I didn't provide my real SSN.

Even if you find there's someting wrong about the SSN, why you didn't contact me, or why you didn't just delete my account last year?

Regarding the url, that's just the answer to your "blank page" statement. I am trying to re do the site, what's wrong with this? I only put yout code on the page. After I pull off your code, why you are surprised to see the clean pages?

Now, please answer my questions in my previous post!!! It seems you are trying to stay away from answering them. Are you afraid of answering them?

Si has strict policies, which are needed to prevent cheaters. I've been with them for quite a while and have always gotten paid. There was some trouble with my first check however, since I was a minor, I faxed them a copy of the Green card and SSN forms and got my check within 5 days.

Actually its hard not to have some traffic come from asia, although roughly 90% of mine comes from North America but the other 10% is scattered from all over including my 2-3% coming from China.

I don't want to get in the middle of things, but Robert I would reccomend making sure on the SSN again, because if he isn't lying that is not good to accuse your suctomers of that. Also how can you prove he was cheating the system. All you have is his forum on ly has 13 posts. Well who gives a shit. Mine has 800 but i get 2 million page views, a month, and this is for 2 months. So i have racked up 4 million page views and only 800 posts. So don't just base it on that. You need evidence. He might have earned this money.

epgs,

Please read my above posts.

Mr. Chen's "traffic" was all from open proxy IPs in China.

50% of Mr. Chen's "traffic" came from the referring URL of a blank page.

Mr. Chen keeps overlooking these facts while calling me stupid. :)

And we do double check SSN's. We are registered with the United States Social Security Administration and we pay a hefty monthly fee, plus a fee for each query, directly to them so that we can run checks thru their proprietary network. And, as I posted above, we've yet to find an error in tens of thousands of querys of the last few years.

In summary, we have an SSN issued to another party, 100% of traffic from open proxys in China, an address in China asked to be changed to a drop box in the USA, and "traffic" coming from blank pages.

Archbob,

I am Chinese, and I live in US. The smilies and avatars are used by many people. According the the tracker, about 60% of the visitors were from US in December 2001. They said all my traffic was from Asia, I just couldn't understand it and I don't believe it.

Anyway, why they didn't tell me or delete my account when they found they wanted to delete my account last year? Even if they think there was something wrong, why not ask me to confirm everything?

epgs,

Thanks for the understanding. I changed the website from Chinese to English long long time ago and I am targeting Chinese in US. The community name was "English Community for Chinese Worldwide". I temporarily pull the site off, bucause I am choosing the forum scripts. You know, it's hard to choose from vB, phpBB and iB. I want to stick with one and avoid the upgrading headache.

It's ironic that a person who makes statements such as "Robert regularly lies about accounts" comments about slander. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the success of SI's programs over the years must be a bitter pill to swallow for some folks.

Luckily we just smile, keep focused on our work, and keep our affilaites and advertisers happy. :)

BTW: CellularPhones.com is now the largest online retailer of cell phones in the USA. We're doing 50% of the volume that BestBuy, CircutCity, and RadioShack do. And we do it out of one 8,000 square foot office with 40 peopleas opposed to hundreds of locations and thousands of employees. How about that! :)

This happen to me too
They delete my account and again they said all my hits come from china but my stat show mostly come from North America . They just don't want to pay, so they delete your account:mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Robert from SI
epgs,

Please read my above posts.

Mr. Chen's "traffic" was all from open proxy IPs in China.

50% of Mr. Chen's "traffic" came from the referring URL of a blank page.

Mr. Chen keeps overlooking these facts while calling me stupid. :)

And we do double check SSN's. We are registered with the United States Social Security Administration and we pay a hefty monthly fee, plus a fee for each query, directly to them so that we can run checks thru their proprietary network. And, as I posted above, we've yet to find an error in tens of thousands of querys of the last few years.

In summary, we have an SSN issued to another party, 100% of traffic from open proxys in China, an address in China asked to be changed to a drop box in the USA, and "traffic" coming from blank pages.

Please read my post. I don't know which one is more accurate. I think webtrendslive may be better? It tells the different stats from yours.

I really don't know what's wrong with the SSN. Please tell me what's the SSN that I provided. You just simply told peole I gave a wrong SSN, evidence?

If I am correct, I have already told you that my first address with SI was in California. Why you just did't tell people what was the address. I have already told you that I moved to a new addrss, why you kept lying? Why you kept calling it a drop box? Does drop box mean a two bedroom apartment?

Why not call me to see whether I am in US or not?

Regarding the blank page, I think hiforums.com is much popular and I am waiting for the professional to re-do my site and do the customized avatars for me. I have already told you this. It's not a blank page.

Let's get this straight. The total I have earned should be around $200. I really don't care about the money. If I have earned it, I want to get it. If what I have done was against the rules of SI, then it's not my money and I don't even want to think about it.

The problems are, you deleted my account based on your wrong information.

And you still didn't answer my questions. I know I have asked a lot of questions, but let's start from these ones again:

Why you didn't delete my account when you found there was something wrong last year?

Why you are so sure your information are all right? (the fact is most of them are wrong)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back