• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Static-Host

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is strange that it was almost a year ago since the last long downtime period.
What is even more puzzling is that Steve also went on his hols at the same time!
I can't for one minute believe that Steve went on holiday without leaving someone in charge...That's just unimaginable and surely unheard of. He is always easy to contact through various means, and I know he works hard to make his business a success, so why would he just take off without leaving someone in charge? Surely he wouldn't!
Which brings me to my question! where has Anthony gone? Didn't he become co-owner again a couple of months ago?

After last years fiasco they moved there client email addresses to an independant server and now send an email to me even if the server is down for 5 minutes, so what has happened?
Communication, communication, communication!

For those who are interested or have read last years thread and wondering why I am posting in this thread after I supposidly left Statichost>

I did.
I moved to Pipex hosting but kept monitoring Statichost. 4 months ago i decided to buy 2 insignificant domains and host them with Statichost again, as it seemed they had got over their problems. My important domains are still on Pipex servers so this downtime is merely inconvenient and annoying to me.

I feel very sorry though for the other clients especially the resellers, and I do know how you feel.
Hopefully Statichost will be up and running shortly.

It's a shame that statichost are so short on staff, really. As you said, SH are usually exceptionally good with contacting people. It's just a shame that a large downtime gets rid of so many clients, too. My site is hardly of any importance, so all i recieve is a few "damn, how annoying"s, but a large site going down must be hell.

Although i do like statichost very much, i would shop elsewhere if i needed a dedicated server. Not because of price or features, but because of situations like this. While i don't mind waiting days for my cheap package to be sorted, i'd be seriously annoyed if my whole server was down and i couldn't do anything about it.

If you could tell me the name of the island that would help a lot... I am also on an island in the caribbean right now and also on vacation.... Here, everything is small so there is a big chance that I can find him if we do by any chance end up being on the same island.

brotherhewd said:
If you could tell me the name of the island that would help a lot... I am also on an island in the caribbean right now and also on vacation.... Here, everything is small so there is a big chance that I can find him if we do by any chance end up being on the same island.
Try and PM T.M. since he is the one that came up with the story.

Dear StaticHost Clients,

I am very sorry for this downtime. It is true that I am currently on Holiday, we hired an outsourced support team who were meant to take care of our servers and support while I am away. However, a reseller on one of our servers created an account that was used to upload an eBay phishing site and our datacenter disconnected the server. According to our datacenter, the support team were only authorised to submit support tickets, and not deal with abuse issues. The support team had some trouble contacting me, but now that I am aware of the issue I am working with the datacenter to bring the server back online.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Best Regards,

Steve McManus

StaticHost said:
Dear StaticHost Clients,

I am very sorry for this downtime. It is true that I am currently on Holiday, we hired an outsourced support team who were meant to take care of our servers and support while I am away. However, a reseller on one of our servers created an account that was used to upload an eBay phishing site and our datacenter disconnected the server. According to our datacenter, the support team were only authorised to submit support tickets, and not deal with abuse issues. The support team had some trouble contacting me, but now that I am aware of the issue I am working with the datacenter to bring the server back online.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Best Regards,

Steve McManus

Glad it's being sorted out :)

ecsportal said:
Wow, yeah - not really good being out of town and unreachable when things like these happen.
I was not anticipating being unreachable, the only internet cafe on the island (it's a small island) was flooded on Monday due to a leaking pipe so I was unable to access the internet for a few days. If that didn't happen I would have been online every day to check everything was running smoothly, which would have prevented this unfortunate issue.

Wait a moment. Downtime due to this kind of abuse is happening quite a bit, at least one incident in March and May respectively as far as my email records tell me. Simply put : why?

Jo3y said:
Wait a moment. Downtime due to this kind of abuse is happening quite a bit, at least one incident in March and May respectively as far as my email records tell me. Simply put : why?

I don't think there's a particular reason for them chosing statichost, but phishing is going on on a huge scale. Being a member on ebay for only a few months, i've really been surprised by the dozens of fake emails left right and center (as just about everyone gets). Most probably a coincidence (and i hope it is). Still, ordinarily Steve is able to fx these issues in a matter of minutes, and it's purely an issue of communication that's been the problem this time.

I managed to contact Anthony who in turn contacted Steve who has now resolved this.

I'm not actually a customer of StaticHost but I needed to use one of the websites they were hosting.

I had just placed an order with them and the next day their site was down and the owner of the site couldn't do much as his Internet connection was broken.

I must also point out that as I myself run a hosting business phishing emails and other such abuse issues are very common these days and it's just unfortunate that the server owner was away on holiday at the time and that the support team couldn't do anything about it.

Good to see this resolved anyhow.

Glad it is up statichost. Thanks for doing that. Check your emails, i have sent a request for a password change. I have lost my login for the first time in my life :(

Are we down again? I can't access the site, email or ftp, and siteuptime.com is giving statichost.co.uk and my site a fail.

Seems So

I am also a customer with Static Host and it seems the server is down again. In the past I had a problem with another host being down for almost an entire month and made a promise to my members and my staff is something like that happend again we would get a new host. I just set up a new account with another webhosting provider and now im awaiting for the server to come back online so all my data can be transferred.

Static Host is the best webhost i've ever been with, this incident is the only thing thats been negative about them.

I am currently working with the datacenter to get the server back online, it appears that this fraudster had more than 1 account on the server...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back