• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Statement From DeiseHost.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Bullah
NLC
At first I want to state that I am providing this statement to all DeiseHost.Com clients and supporters as a way of saying thanks and to inform you at first hand what is happening, why it is happening and when. I have had a very long think about this and it is certainly, as you may well imagine, a very difficult time and an equally difficult decision that I have to make and will have made by the end of this statement.

When I was first introduced to the web hosting industry back in 2003, I had no clue what I was doing, why I was doing it or how it was done. All I know is I wanted to be part of it. It fascinated me how people could design excellent and beautiful websites by simply writing a piece of code. It fascinated me how people were giving away website hosting to those, just like me, who couldn’t afford to pay for it. All they asked for in return was a link or small ad placed on my site pages.
I remember my very first attempt at a website design was done using Microsoft Word. I was thrilled to bits and posted a link to it on FreeWebSpace.Net forums. Not realizing the seriousness of real website design, I thought, by reading what people said, that I did a great job. But looking back now, I realize that these people were just being nice and encouraging and the design was in fact far from being a design. It was terrible.

I remember my very first reseller account. Man, when I received the login details for WHM I jumped so high I thought I would hit my head on the room ceiling. I was ecstatic and overwhelmed with joy. It was like Christmas and my Birthday had suddenly decided to surprise me on the same day. I felt powerful and I believed I could do just about anything.

I started a free hosting service called DanEthical Services, which also included DanEthical.Com that provided free PHP Message Forums. I completely believed that I was going to be the next Patrick Clinger (ProBoards.Com).
I stuck with that idea for a good year or so until I handed the lot over to “ethix” who was 50% partner on the service. I wanted to try something bigger and better.

At that time I had come across some finances from a Law Suit against the Irish Government and purchased a dedicated server. Now I was on top of the world and there was no way I was coming down. I was going to rise high and be one of the big hosting providers like Homestead, 1&1 and Geocities, who were the king of the crop at the time.
Because the first server I got was a Xeon, I acquired the domain xeonserve.com and began my shared and reseller hosting ventures.
That didn’t go so well either. Can’t remember what exactly happened but I know it didn’t last too long. Shortly after Xeonserve, I purchased DeiseHost.Com.

Still having very little knowledge on how the hosting industry worked, and with no education or business ethics, I trotted along and did the best I could do. If I got a dollar for each time I changed the look of the main site I would be a very rich man and would not be writing this statement right now.
I created my plans and prices, set up support options and started hosting websites. I remember the very first payment of $1.99 coming into my PayPal. I thought, “This is it. This is the start to something pretty big!”, but I was wrong. Very wrong!
DeiseHost.Com was to be a struggle from day one. And for a typical Irish bloke with no job and running out of financial options pretty quickly, I was running out of drive. On many occasions I struggled with decisions on whether or not to close it. But I didn’t. I fought on and met any obstacle head on and dealt with it the best way I knew how.

In 2007, I joined with another hosting provider and started doing VPS Services at CompleteVPS.Com. This was to be a huge turn for the books as it started to profit within the first couple of months. For the first time in 4 years + the servers were actually paying for themselves with change left over. However, due to my selfishness and stupidity, that too was soon to go burst. It did and with a serious bang! I was left again with no money to cover costs and with servers I couldn’t pay for.

To cut it short, in the mean time I was to meet with a fantastically beautiful Australian woman who completely stole my heart. We are now living together in her home country and have a wee baby coming along next May. We are also marrying next year. These, to me, are far more than any hosting business could give me.
To wrap it up, as I know you are now bored out of your skulls from reading it, it is time the Danno hung up his pistols and called it a day.

I have decided to sell DeiseHost.Com and its related services. I just can’t do it any more. However, I am going to be very cagy about who takes it over. The last thing I want is for some ------- taking it over and the clients being let down badly. God knows there are some excellent people hosted by DeiseHost.Com. Some have been there from day one.

The service will go at a very reasonable price. However, it will not go for buttons. The domain alone was appraised over a year ago by Sedo who gave it an approximate value of over 1,000 Euro. That’s just the domain. But I will not ask for 1,000 Euro for just the domain. Don’t worry.

I will be posting the advertisement tomorrow here at FWS.

At this point, I would like to sincerely thank the following people who, in some way, have been a great asset to DeiseHost.Com:

Patrick and Sara at Galaxy-Solutions
Yun Heng
Francisco
David at cPanel Support
“ethix”
Lyle
Leah (for putting up with my moods)
Freewebspace.net for the great times and support.

There are so many other people who I would love to mention but let’s face it, there are not as many pages. I would have to be releasing this as an E-Book.

Thank you all. And, for those who are planning on entering the world of website hosting, be careful. There are some serious scammers out there. It is also a very tough business so be prepared.
I have learned a lot over the few years I have been doing it and maybe some day soon, I will come back and do it all again. Regardless of the hard times and financial strains, it’s been a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Dan Riordan
DeiseHost.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back