• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Starting a host?

JassiB

Ok, now, I don't want you all to think I'm trying to run the host of the century or anything before I begin because I know the amount of flames I'll get for that.

Anyhow, what I want to do is learn how to be able to host some friends websites on my own private server. As of right now, my server isn't the greatest server in the world (its a Pentium 2 ~350 mhz), but it seems to be able to hold its own when hosting my website.

Anyhow, I would like to know what software I would need to setup a small host. Currently I know how to, and have successfully installed: Apache, PHP and MYSQL -- ALL UNDER LINUX, and I would prefer to stick with linux. Other than that I haven't been too successful.

So, if someone wouldn't mind posting a guide or a link to one, I would really appriciate it.

Thank you,

- Jaypee (http://jaypee.mine.nu/)

EDIT:

My GOals for the server are:

To be able to add new servers on at a later date;
I.E. ww1.example.com, ww2.example.com, etc.

And to be able to host people as subdomains on my domain;
I.E. Joe would be joe.example.com

Oh, yes and if there are any free website control panels out there, I wouldn't mind knowing their names! ;)

Last edited:
Before you start your host ask your self,
Can you keep the server running forever. Like no power cuts no crashes? Coz once the server crashes no web page will be accesible.

If you convince cPanel that you are doing this for educational or non-profit reasons, you might be able to get it for free ;)

Otherwise, zPanel is free. I've never had any experience with it, so I have no idea if it is bad or good.

Just get one of those power bars that have a battery that can run the server,router,modem, for a couple of hours. Make sure your ISP allows it. Put the computer in a secured spot with clear notification not to turn it off. Keep a cool fan running on the server constantly as well. A cold server is a happy server. Zpanel, webmin are a few control panels.

Tree said:
If you convince cPanel that you are doing this for educational or non-profit reasons, you might be able to get it for free ;)

Otherwise, zPanel is free. I've never had any experience with it, so I have no idea if it is bad or good.
cPanel comes free on all .edu domains. .edu domains are free for whomever has a .edu email. eg. students and teachers.

shabda said:
Before you start your host ask your self,
Can you keep the server running forever. Like no power cuts no crashes? Coz once the server crashes no web page will be accesible.

Date: 14 Jan 2006 <--- that's the date of my first post on the website. And since then its been running fairly stably for a long time. However I do restart sometimes, just pretty much when I feel like it. Also, I don't recall it being down for more than a couple of hours (when I was switching my routers and one night when i went to bed).

To keep it cool however, I don't have anything beyond the stock IBM fans. I do have a house fan that I often point directly at it, however nothing more than that.

As for all the comments to the providing a host, I did say that it was pretty much for me and some close friends / family members. Nothing too big. And if it happens to go down I have another pc I can set up to take its place (Pentium 2 ~450mhz 128 mb ram --- Currently being used to host my counterstrike 1.6 server).

Aside from that I wanted to know if apache2triad will allow me to set up hosting / subdomains / multiple servers. As I've never done this before I'd appriciate some references, or if its really simple, just get me started? Oh yes, is apache2triad only for windows, or is there a version for linux, as I would really like to stick with my current linux distribution, however I could switch to windows 98 and possibly 2000 pro.

Thanks again,

- Jaypee (http://jaypee.mine.nu/)

Tree you should no better.. cPanel does not give any FREE cPanel stuff. Unless it's like a school than MAYBE but it's obvious if you are a school or not, haha. Anyways, you can always try http://www.webmin.com/ It's pretty good for what it does :p

agreed, VHCS is great, use this one if your serious, however the fact many clients will have used zpanel may lend itself in hand...
make sure your server is kept very cool, the stock fans may not cut it, but if you can keep it surrounded with the cool air from the house fan you should be ok, make sure you do this on peak traffic times (saturday night is commen)

Yellowmc said:
How can you sleep with the noise from the computer?
It's quite relaxing actually... of course I live downtown, so I need some background noise to help drown out the traffic noise and police/ambulance/fire sirens outside.

What about your electricity bill? I am pretty sure it costs a fair few $ to keep your computer running 24/7.

Back