• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

...Srsly?

Someone here needs to create a new community where people of the currently dead FWS will go to discuss matters of interest.

FWS was dieing with a long time. It was brought up ina private forum some time ago and Peo defended it by saying FWS was as busy as ever.
It's a pity. It used to be a great buzzing place.

Eh, it's not all bad. Some forums move too fast for me to bother to keep up with; might as well just make it a chat community at that point.

"It's Resting!"

No to paraphrase Broadway, but it's different for me now that "it's no longer brand new". I'm not wowed by any offer under the sun. I do miss the old search list, and I seem to think there's more turnover operators going on now.

I tend to think that the topic would be in waves... if you have a dandy host, you'd do your thing, and wouldn't be as fierce cruising the offers.

I'm having a bit of fun over in my offer thread. But it will settle in another week, and then I'll hibernate too.

Seems some of the friendlier hosts burned out though.

Ok, so let's look at the facts. Traffic on a monthly basis to FWS is up 49% compared to the same time last year according to Google Analytics. Number of new members are up by an even higher percentage than that according to vBulletin stats. Vbulletin also have a "User Activity" stat which is actually at the very same level today as it was a year ago. Facts are stubborn things...

The general discussions section is less active than last year at this moment, I agree, but that happens sometimes. I guess people are more focused now on discussing web hosting here than general stuff. Forums in general are having a tough time compared to all the new social networking sites over the last few years like facebook, twitter, blogs etc.

After 13 years (11,5 on this domain) we are still here and we'll be here many years to come.

Well put Peo. I've been on these forums just three months shorter then you by the way. :p Forums are like the stock market, they go up and go down. It's the normal trend. Imho, it's threads like these that really make the forums go dead. You want to see the forums thrive, contribute. Simple. :)

Last edited:
TravisL said:
I've been on these forums just three months longer then you by the way.

You mean you were on the forums three months shorter. Your join date is Jan 2001 and his is October 2000.
October + November + December + January != 3 months longer.

Consider the moderation performed on this thread: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2225906

This is why I am going to be less enthusiastic about visiting this forum in the future. It feels like I am posting on a message board of a prison (Arkham Asylum); and THAT is just one example. I have seen the specific action done to other threads that weren't in the ads section. Killing creative discussion is not the answer.

Judge Fudge said:
Killing creative discussion is not the answer.
That's the whole thing, it's an ad forum and not a discussion section. It's meant to advertise something, if you have something to ask the person, you can do so in PM.

Ok, so let's look at the facts. Traffic on a monthly basis to FWS is up 49% compared to the same time last year according to Google Analytics. Number of new members are up by an even higher percentage than that according to vBulletin stats. Vbulletin also have a "User Activity" stat which is actually at the very same level today as it was a year ago. Facts are stubborn things...

The general discussions section is less active than last year at this moment, I agree, but that happens sometimes. I guess people are more focused now on discussing web hosting here than general stuff. Forums in general are having a tough time compared to all the new social networking sites over the last few years like facebook, twitter, blogs etc.

After 13 years (11,5 on this domain) we are still here and we'll be here many years to come.

Is this increase just visitors or actual posts? I wonder how many people come here and just goto the hosting offers then either leave or sign up for some hosting w/o posting.

Does this traffic include bots as well? I do not claim to know much about stats when it comes to hosting, but I would think that more bots would mean more traffic.

Back