• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

SpreeBB?

It is modified so it would be more appropriate to say that it is based on IPB rather than it is IPB. The latter would be misleading as it implies that a user would receive IPB in its original condition. oldman2

Hosted for free by SpreeBB :: Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.

Yep. Not misleading at all, and I think this would be better in the Free Services forum.

Win777 said:
Yep. Not misleading at all, and I think this would be better in the Free Services forum.
Honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about and shouldn't voice your opinion unless you have something intelligent to say. The "Powered by" tag is required in accordance with the IPB license. Any software that is based on IPB would need to show this line unless prior arrangements are made with IPS.

The one thing that bothers me about providing a free service is when people like you feel you are so intelligent that you know more about a service than the creator of the service does. Well, I'll correct you since you can't figure it out yourself -- no, you do not know more about this service than the creator of this service does.

Would you say that InvisionFree is IPB or InvisionFree is based on IPB? Obviously it is more descriptive to say that it is based on IPB due to the large number of modifications made. SpreeBB is comparable to InvisionFree.

With or without modifications to a forum software, the forum software, in this case, IPB, is still the forum software. The way I see it, I would say that InvisionFree is IPB - because it still is IPB. A modified phpBB still is phpBB. There's no need to put words in my mouth. People can call things whatever they want. If want to say "based on," go ahead. I'm not stopping you.

Then I don't know what your problem is. Obviously you felt that my statement that the service is based on IPB is so incorrect that you were compelled to come in here and emphasize that "It is IPB."

Next time, try to consider the usefulness of your statement before you make it. And if it falls in the negative range, you probably would be wise to withhold your statement.

After reading your original post, I expected to see something almost radically different from IPB, but it was still IPB, so I posted to let others know that.

It is Invision Power Board, how do you figure that it is "based" on it? Just because you installed a few mods doesn't change that. Also, I think this should go in the free offers area to, this is not a hosting provider.

spiralfive said:
It is Invision Power Board, how do you figure that it is "based" on it? Just because you installed a few mods doesn't change that. Also, I think this should go in the free offers area to, this is not a hosting provider.
spiralfive, excuse me, but what makes you think that just a few mods were installed? Here we go again with the excessively assumptive reasoning. No mods were installed at all. That's right -- zero mods! But large portions of the software were completely recoded to the extent that it would be impossible to install any IPB mod in this software because most of the code is completely different from stock IPB. And that, my friend, is why I can say that it is based on IPB.

In addition, "This forum is NOT for offers" is clearly labeled on the Free Services forum. This is the only forum that is suitable for this thread.

If you just want to crap someone's thread, please go crap the threads of one of those hosts run by a 13 year old kid who had $20 and decided to start a free host without any technical knowledge or experience. Those hosts just might deserve the kind of garbage you are posting. :)

Forums look nice dside!

Do you place google adds, or other adds on the free forums?
I looked at a few in the forums directory and I seen one with google adds, and two that appeared to be add free?

cheers

Ok. So, what's "modified" about you install that makes it different? What did you do to it to make it not be Invision Power Board?

Back