• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Spiral.Alchemy

Spiral

I'm new here, so I figured I'd start by letting you guys tear apart my latest design.

http://spiralalchemy.pt.vu

This site is basically a online portfolio, I tried to make the design unique and stray from the typical 'corporate' looking designs that every single web designer seems to use as of late. Any comments/criticisms/death threats are welcome. Please don't hold back, I can't learn anything from comments like "looks cool" or "nice site".

Thanks in advance.

That looks pretty good, one of the better ones Ive seen here lately. One thing I don't like is the logo on the bottom of the page. Im viewing at 800x600, and I almost have to scroll down to see it. Images are nice and the text is easy to read. One question, whats with the Y, X, and Z buttons?

Here are my thoughts. :)

1.) I do not like the menu being at the bottom... I actually did not even see for a good 30 seconds! But that is probably just a personal preference.
2.) I don't like popup windows. Another problem with this is a lot of people are starting to use popup blockers. This will limit your sites usability some.

Another thing with popups is that I cannot open them in a tab. For example, I went to your portfolio. Normaly I would middle click each link and each one would open in a new tab in the background. That would allow all of them to load and I could click through them really fast. With popups this does not work.

Finally my last problems with the popups is they open in the same window. this would not be a problem if all the images were the same size. For example I open up the banner you designed. I then leave that window open and click on a new image. The window is still the size for the banner so you don't see the whole image.

I do like your use of images. They are nice and not too distracting. :)

Last edited:
Looks great.
Nor the menu being at the bottom nor the pop-ups didn't bother me.
Don't really have anything to add.. well except maybe the gradient fade at the borders of the main frame could be tighter (so you couldn't see where the pic ends and the bg color starts)
And whats the deal with all that encrypted stuff? :s

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, much appreciated.

As for the menu/logo at the bottom: I did that intentionally because I'm pretty tired/bored of the same cookie-cutter looking website with Header > navigation > content in the same order. I don't want to make the same website that the rest of the internet has created 9 million times already.

I'm generally not a fan of popups either, but I figured if I made it so you'd only have to open them once it would be ok. the 2nd layer of them in the portfolio could be tricky I guess. Oh well.

As for the non-tabbed browsing, about 80% of the people who have seen the site are using that ancient joke of a browser known as IE. :)

edit: also the coded images were for a free site contest I had, I updated the site recently with an explanation of them.

Last edited:
Well, I figure I'll bump this instead of making a new thread. The old design was far too limited for me. I realized I'm going to need a lot more room, so I've started redesigning, I'm going with a WWII theme, because I'm a bit of a history nerd. Anyways, give me your thoughts on this draft.

Pic here (200kish)

I know the grunge look is rather cliche, but I figure at least this one has a theme.

Thanks in advance guys.

wow i luv ur gfx`s work, its just awesome, i luv the grunge style, very nice...

kepp tha good work up man ;) gotta luv the web designs :p

Im not too keen on graphics in general (the more simple, the better imo), but it is very nice. Although I prefer this one to the old one, both are very good. Keep up the good work.

Pablo said:
wow i luv ur gfx`s work, its just awesome, i luv the grunge style, very nice...

kepp tha good work up man ;) gotta luv the web designs :p

Thanks!

cowax said:
Im not too keen on graphics in general (the more simple, the better imo), but it is very nice. Although I prefer this one to the old one, both are very good. Keep up the good work.

Yea, im bored of 'clean' layouts. So I figured I'd dirty one up for once :)

clean layouts are for stylish sites
grunge layouts are mostly used for portfolios imo
both are very nice, but dont try to use both in a same site lol :p
i think u should finish ur second layout..;)

btw, what software do u use for the designs, ps, fireworks?

Last edited:
wow man pretty nice, i like it... luv the grunge style..where did u learn it? :p im thinking on making my own portfolio...:p

I just sorta figured it out, this is my first try at a 'grunge' site. I'll call it a 'theme' site instead of grunge though, because grunge is so cliche.

Back