• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Sooo Many Questions!

flyingsolo

I'm new here and am hoping that questions about my computer will be answered by someone willing to assist me with patience.
I got into this new technology late in life (6 years ago.)
Senior Citizens don't give up!
I am still on dial-up and using Windows ME. Slow, but OK.

dial-up is very common in Indonesia. most of indonesian people still use dial-up.
broadband is a bit expensive here.

broadband
± $20 --> 1 gb monthly transfer speed 384 kbps
± $300 --> unlimited monthly transfer speed 384 kbps
± $30 --> unlimited monthly transfer, speed = 64 kbps (shared for 4-16 users)

dialup
± $1 --> 1 hour unlimited transfer, speed = 56 kbps

how about you?

already 6 years? not new then! btw, dialup would be more expensive then DSL and boardband as it bill by sec/min/hour. upgrade to DSL or boardband unlimited plan and just pay a fix amount monthly (if available in your local).

kimcrhis, in the U.S. dialup is not charged per minute or hour, but per month. :) It is usually about the same price as DSL, though.

Thanks to all of you!
I don't know if this would be the correct forum for this question but....
when I want to defrag it stops and starts constantly. I have AVG Free Edition and Spybot Search and Destroy installed. Is that what's causing the problem? If so, what's the solution?
Have a great day!

Yes, that can very well cause the problem. It does that because those programs are trying to run in the background. Each time they do something, it has to start over. To close them to run the defrag, find them in your system tray (the bottom right of the screen), and right-click each one; then, select Exit or Close.

Hope that helps! :)

every nation has it own kind of billing rate, example for me in my local dialup users are charging by per sec. im on ADSL 6000kbps unlimited plan right now and only costed me around $30usd/month.

Where are you from flyingsolo sometimes country differences help with problems? As they can differ.

ME version (a version of old windows suffers from any system activity when defragging) is old and the most bad version of WIn95/98 can you try to get a newer version upgrade?

Decker, I'm in the US. I use Windows ME on an older eMachines.
I disabled my programs in order to defrag and it seems to have worked.
Thanks.......

Decker, I'm in the US. I use Windows ME on an older eMachines.
I disabled my programs in order to defrag and it seems to have worked.
Thanks.......

Not the only prob you will hit with it, come back and ask if you hit others as it is the worst incarnation yet of windows (go back to Win98 if you can).
Maybe let us know the spec of the machine so we can help to 'tweak' it a bit better for you too.

Regards

flyingsolo, If you know someone who got an old version of windows 2000 laying around, I'd strongly suggest you install that. It will for work for sure on your computer if right now you're able to run Windows ME.

Windows ME is regarded as the most flopped version of windows.

On the other hand, windows 2000 is alot more stable. It is still used even today on some dedicated hosting servers instead of windows 2003.

We got a computer related forum here: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
If you have any questions regarding any problems with your pc, post your questions there :)

And about broadband, your ISP does offer DSL. If you live in a location where DSL is available, I'd strongly suggest upgrading to that. For only a few dollars per month more you could browse the web about 5x to 10x faster, and it would free up your phone line. Lot's of multimedia content is waiting for you with broadband. (internet radio for exameple :))

Last edited:
Back