• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Social Security Chekcs (IE: SSI, SSDI, etc.) Is Being FORCED To Direct Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negative rep for that? Srsly? It is win-win. I'm surprised money wasn't paid directly into bank accounts years ago, I don't know how long the UK has done it. If it saves you millions each year, it's a good thing. Doesn't matter if it's not a good thing for you, it is still a good thing. You'll just have to adjust to it.

Its been like this in australia for years and years and years, I am also surprised that the US is so far behind..

In australia now I dont even have to enter a goverment office for anything, I can do all my stuff, submit my payment forms and everything online from July 1st.

Its been like this in australia for years and years and years, I am also surprised that the US is so far behind..

In australia now I dont even have to enter a goverment office for anything, I can do all my stuff, submit my payment forms and everything online from July 1st.

See, I hate doing government stuff online or over the phone; it often gets me no where.

Also note that my payee has SSI as well, and she has direct deposit. However, unlike my checks, hers comes 3-6 days later than the 1st or 3rd.

Last edited:
Separate account perhaps?

Have to be my own payee then, otherwise Credit Union won't accept Direct Deposit.

My payee can't open a joint bank account at credit union because in the past, both her and her daughter got mixed up... though opening a joint account with my credit union would allow direct deposit. But then we would both have access to the account, which is not something grandma wants, see last line in this post.

Both are listed as L Mueller in the government/state, so in the past, my mother's mother (current payee) got my mother's SSI checks, and due to this, my mother got upset, wanted to take grandma to court, but then grandma decided to go to Associated Bank to resolve all the issues, which everything was resolved.

My mother currently still holds her original account with my credit union, so my grandma won't do the joint bank account with the credit union, because she thinks the same will happen again.

I can't be my own Payee, because my mother is known to wring my neck.

Last edited:
What's the big deal? I get some Government cheques direct deposit, I want all of mine to be direct deposit because it's more of a hassle to go all the way to the bank. You said yourself that your Grandma handles and cashes your money anyways, it shouldn't be a big deal to you.

What's the big deal? I get some Government cheques direct deposit, I want all of mine to be direct deposit because it's more of a hassle to go all the way to the bank. You said yourself that your Grandma handles and cashes your money anyways, it shouldn't be a big deal to you.

Don't know if it will be DD to me or her though, SSA has both our bank infos.

If need be, just go to your bank and work something out. I know majority of banks can help you with this sort of situation.

The US has had direct deposit for quite a few years. My mom has been receiving her SSI by direct deposit for about 7 years now.

Direct deposit is/was an option along with the paper check. They are going to remove the paper check as an option and go to direct deposit only.

More and more employers are also doing away with the paper check. You either go direct deposit or you get a pay card (like a prepaid credit card.)

That's not what they're called, never were.

What are you referring to ?

I never said it was called a prepaid credit card. A "pay card" (yes, PAYroll Card,) is what I called it. I do payroll for my company, and we call them pay cards as does the bank that we use that issues the card. it works like a re-loadable prepaid credit card. We will reload the "pay card" (bank issued master card) with his/her weekly net earnings.

http://usa.visa.com/corporate/corporate_solutions/payment/visa_payroll.html

Last edited:
yeah well we still did away with them years ago, everything is pretty much direct deposit here, even employers.

CoffeeMonster - You get fixed on little things and come up with reasons why its so bad, you make it sound like your being cut off from payment.
When you start thinking so negative you should question "Is what I am thinking really that bad" it might help you relax some...
Also come up with positive solutions for your problems, rather than worrying about the negative, fix it.
Go to a new bank if your mother could access it, etc etc etc

Would be nice, except banks are worth crap, and there's like only one other credit union around, and I think it might be going under anyway.

If banks/other places offered "Free Checking Account with only 5 USD Minimum Balance in Savings, no more, no less, no annual fees, no monthly fees, etc. No need to get a credit card, debit card, etc. no need to actually have to buy checks and not ever use them, etc. And have a Dividend paid to me if my savings or checking has so much of a balance in them, etc. for free."

Then I might consider it. But if I DO change my bank/credit union to something else, a few people have to know that I changed it:

1. The MERIDIAN Group (the people who own the subsidized housing building I live in.)
1b. Have to re-sign papers, etc.

2. Social Security has to know.
2b. Also have to re-sign papers.

They don't mail these papers, and you must turn them in directly, which is why I love actually going to the places themselves, instead of going online/phone. I also can't have more than 2000 USD in my bank (TOTAL, meaning all accounts added together, even balances that cannot be withdrawn, and this includes other bank accounts; IE: if I have accounts with two banks, they add both up) otherwise SSI checks start being deducted from.

Credit Cards are considered a type of "Debt" and therefore do not affect SSI Checks.

Last edited:
You're revealing some incredibly specific information about your financial and personal situation, and it's really not advisable or required.

Just a thought.

CoffeeMonster - You get fixed on little things and come up with reasons why its so bad, you make it sound like your being cut off from payment.
When you start thinking so negative you should question "Is what I am thinking really that bad" it might help you relax some...
Also come up with positive solutions for your problems, rather than worrying about the negative, fix it.

Agreed. Just got my HST refund check (Canadians would know about this situation) as a direct deposit, pretty nice!

You're revealing some incredibly specific information about your financial and personal situation, and it's really not advisable or required.

Just a thought.

We're all dying every nanosecond. If I die sooner, it's just a relief from the suffering I go through every nanosecond.

how about getting a job and coming off SS so that you dont have to worry about it. that in turn would make it so you get higher pay, and we, the american people, would not have to be paying for you to live. that would be win win. this is just a suggestion though, so, dont get all mad and take it the wrong way. i think anyone that is living off government funds needs to get off, not just you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back