• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Small scale free hosting, can it work?

i cameup with new idea too, but really making post 2 host, is very boring, i personally think there should be something unique which no one does on net, sometimes very rare, hosting with ads or ads free, is all upto you. but your idea is very nice, though i dont know if it will work or not.

In my opinion the post to host is just ridiculous, its just webmasters wanting to have their own forum community. It is not really sustainable.

In my opinion the post to host is just ridiculous, its just webmasters wanting to have their own forum community. It is not really sustainable.

What's wrong with webmasters having their own forum community? Isn't that the initial idea of forums?
Hence - "phpBB: Creating Communities"

No?

I agree. this days all most all hosts are just forum not even a web page or company info just forum... its like even a 10 years kids can start a free hosting through a forum... lol

Free Hosting Company should be unique for everyone that wants to start . I don't believe companies should copy each other control panels, and just use a forum for there sign up and whatever.

I agree with Dan. What is wrong with it? Anyway it's one of the only methods which will generate revenue without having ads on their site.

This is what I do and it works quite well. Almost every client I host has me on their messenger list and we talk from time to time about nothing important or hosting related. Its important, in my opinion, to establish that kind of relationship.

It also reduces, greatly, the amount of abuse you have to put up with as a host. I can sit back and do little to no managing most days because I know people aren't using my service to screw up the net.

The only things I do different are no ads and I don't require an established site to take the hosting. However, this is likely to change, as i get a lot of people who get the space, and never use it, which is horribly annoying

thats a fact, users will sign up free accounts and never return..they may have found someone better and moved on the same day, this is a simple issuse, if their hosting is not setup within 7 days, then delete the account, make room for serious users.

^^ On the flipside, if the user is not using his or her account, no space is being taken up, so what does it hurt to leave the account there?

cameup with new idea too, but really making post 2 host, is very boring, i personally think there should be something unique which no one does on net, sometimes very rare, hosting with ads or ads free, is all upto you. but your idea is very nice, though i dont know if it will work or not.

I really think we need a new scheme altogether. What about a host that gives you webspace based on getting votes for your website idea. Like every week 10 people apply with proposals for their website, and the one whose idea gets the most votes from other hostees and users gets an awesome package (maybe a VPS account with 20gig or something like that). You'd create some really cool sites that way!

^^ It depends. What do you mean by "small"? How many users would you plan to host?

Offered-Space vs. Actually Needing it

It ticks me off no end when I see somebody who thinks they're better than me because their tiny personal site has 5gb of free storage, that's why I wrote this web space calculator, so that noobs could get a little more realistic (over) estimate of what they'd actually need.

Is there any system that can dynamically reallocate space to those who need it? I bet it could save terabytes if all the free hosts used it, but first we need to dispell the myth that everybody's crappy site needs 1800megs of space to "grow".

The size of offered space reminds me of Intel's marketing until their NetBurst line caved on them. The rest of the advertising world has conditioned us to look for "more for less". I have been iconoclastically using tiny providers while I worked on my pages because I knew full well I didn't need a colossal allocation.

What about a kind of "Lease-Back" system? In return for streamlining your site (which might force you to dump some of the junk you forgot you deleted), you can build a kind of credit? "I started with the 100meg allocation and Lease-Backed 88 of it... That allowed the owner to sign four other clients. A year later now my site needs the space, I get a booster bonus."

If you know there's a hard cap on size, like 50 megs, you subconsciously "think small" knowing that your experimental media site is toast.

Back