• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Shell Access

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
hello,

now, i have decent knowledge in the webhosting industy and i just want to know one more thing. well, for now :p

what exactly is shell access? i have a reseller, and it says...do you want to include shell access with the plan i've created.

what exactly is that?

thanks to anyone who can help :D
:wave:

shell access is when you have a command line, like Command Prompt in windows, only over the internet to your hosting.

I thought you said you have "decent knowledge in the webhosting industy " :)
You should check with your server provider to see if you have that.

Also if you don't know what it is.. I wouldn't start using it - unless you read up on what you can do and the commands - else stick to the control panels :)

Thanks,
Adam

Shell access is where you have a jailed shell to your server so you could edit files on your webspace without needing to download them or possibly even be able to run a small server if you're allowed to open ports on your account which I doubt.

I wouldn't recommend allowing your users to access this unless you really trust them, allowing this could make your server unsecure if the shell access got into the wrong hands.

This is the sort of thing users will get (except they wont have shoutcast unless that's what they're running): http://imagehost.jslane.net/uploads/a8d414be2e.jpg

Last edited:
Back