• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

setup network

Kratt

trying to setup home network thru our wifi router. but can't get past the 1st step.

When I look in "Microsoft Windows Network" then into my workgroup, I have 'no access', when at least i'd expect to see myself.

Why?

i don't really understand what you mean by "1st step" and "i have no access".
can you post a screen shot or make it clear?

Well I have my workgroup 'PINE'
and I suren hoped to see my own PC in it.

Attachments

• err.jpg
    err.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 20
are you trying to browse the network ? if so you have to share any of your resources (a drive or a folder) in order to be able to access it through my network places :)

no, if you can't see the computers, drives and folders are irrelevant.

That's not true.. If you don't have file and printer sharing turned on, the computer won't show up. I'll assume you're using Windows XP; what version is it (Home, Professional)?

if you don't share any resources, the computer will still appear, but will be empty.

does the same error message happen from both computers? or only from one?

ZI'm using XP Pro. No domain.
Now, I can get the workgroup showing, no PC.

My PC has a folder shared as 'read' for 'everyone'

"file and printer sharing" as in the wifi properties? is turned on.

Haven't setup a 2nd PC yet, hoping to firstly see the computer in my workgroup first.

Put in 2nd PC, XP Home. It sees itself, I see it too.
Can't see me tho...

Should I turn 'file and printer sharing' on or off? It /sounds/ like with it off I can still share other folders than the 'shared docs' etc.

Is your wifi encrypted? You probably need to set something up on the main computer tell it which other computer/ip it is allowed to connect to.

I don't believe this is the problem.

I had this exact problem on win98 (one computer saw the other but not vice-versa)
I remember this was a problem with that setting. Windows family logon or windows network logon. Something like that, that you select from a dropdown box in the network properties.

No idea as to winxp though. Sorry.

It's 'Client for Microsoft Networks', Woj

Make sure that, File & Printer Sharing & Internet protocal are in, bin QoS if it's there (waste of time outside enterprise networks)

Try it with just those 3, share a folder (to all users) and see if you can see it.

WiFi connection:
Client for Microsoft Networks is on
File & Printer Sharing is on

services:
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper turned on
computer browser turned on - do I need this?

have tried with a firewall off and on, seems to make no difference. Of course we are both connected to the wireless router, which connects to the ADSL modem.

thing is both computers can see the other computer running XP home. Both computers cannot see my computer XP Pro. That clearly does not make sense.

I'm thinking something is turned off in my computer that is default on.

Now your talking services, without a full list if you've been playing with them it could be anything!!

well I can't see the network again.
what 'access permissions' can a workgroup possibly have?

but I AM able to access my own pc using the \\name\ instead...

do I need anything under tcp/ip advanced tabs?

Last edited:
Try setting the primary WINS/DNS to the router address, that might work for local network only, otherwise it should pick up the ISP's DNS setup.
Are you trying to access the machines by name? If so add an entry to lmhosts and set all machines with a static IP rather than a router assigned DHCP within the DHCP range.

set the wifi router to both PC's DNS and WINS
both PC static IP. netbios over tcp/ip
Ping works.

stil can't find the pc name in workgroup!

Back