• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Setting up Proxy for home

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
I don't know if this is the right section or not, if it isn't please move it mods :).

I have several websites/servers at home that I use for test work. I have port ranges for ssh's, ftps, apache's, lighthttpd, ISPCondfig, Webmin, VMware MUI, and more all over the place. I can usually work from anywhere except one place. school. School has only 4 ports open, 80, 110, 25, and 480. So I can't type in my 3rd web server, eatest.org:86 because that port can't get out of the school. A remedy to this is using a proxy service from proxy.org, and that routes it all through port 80 so that it works. Problem is, I like running root accesses ect, things I don't really wanna give to anonymous proxy services. So what I want to do is run my own. This would be running on my main Debian box, Debian Etch kernel 2.6.18-4-686. It has Apache on port 80, so I could access it easy enough if need be. That box however, doesn't have to have Apache, so if a proxy service needs to use that port instead, it can. I want to run this at home so I know that all my passwords ect are going through safe channels that I know aren't collecting my information. So what proxy do you guys recommend, and any good guides on installation?

Thanks alot :)

What runs on port 86 ??

If it's for a webservice, then most server daemons ( including IIS ) allow you to run several websites on the same port, you just configure the host header value to look for and you can get away with it ... lighthtpd can do it too, and we all know apache does ....

You know what I do, I have all my sql boxes and file servers on obscure ports and not accessible outside, so long as you can access the website it will be able to interact with the other services inside of the network ...

What runs on port 86 ??

If it's for a webservice, then most server daemons ( including IIS ) allow you to run several websites on the same port, you just configure the host header value to look for and you can get away with it ... lighthtpd can do it too, and we all know apache does ....

You know what I do, I have all my sql boxes and file servers on obscure ports and not accessible outside, so long as you can access the website it will be able to interact with the other services inside of the network ...

I know you can run multiple websites on port 80. But these are actually different virtual servers sharing an IP. I have to run many servers, because they are all separate experiments. I have my production apache,MySQL, PHP, Postgre VM for people to see my finished projects, I have an Apache, Mongrel, Postgre box for the ongoing danbooru project, an icecast project for my MKportal icecast project, my experimental Apache/Mysql/PHP box for MKportal/PHPBB experiments for clients, and my Apache/Tomcat box for experiments with Bedework. All these apache's have to share my one internet connection. I am thinking as you said krakjoe, of making a singular mysql box to handle all the services of that, but the Apache's have to be separated. And some lighthttpds are thrown in there too, especially for the Danbooru box. So all of the webservers have to have different ports, otherwise they collide. So I change the apache's configs to go on different ports. See what I'm walking about now?

I wish they could simply be on one install, but some of the things i'm messing with can corrupt services, and that's a pain in the tail to have to reimage when you go to dependency hell ;).

Use Fpipe to redirect the port outbound. Just a note - Don't use this in an enterprise environment because it is very much a SOX violation.

http://www.foundstone.com/us/resources/proddesc/fpipe.htm

You can read the description but it simply makes your traffic go outbound on the port that you pick - be it 80 since that is open and then connects to the destination port you enter. Which would allow you to connect to 86 through 80.

Back