• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Setting up a shoutcast server

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
Anyone know any good articles on setting up a shoutcast server? I have a VPS running CentOS and I thought since I got some free 6GB space and 300GB BW on a 100MBS line I'd give it a try. Its NOT FOR SELLING. I just wanna take a look at it in tune for a future project. All that would go on there is some custom beats me and my pals made just for our little cliche. Its more for fun then selling, so i don't need liscenses and all that. I just want a better way than some jukebox integrated into a webpage. Also if there is a good way to control the shoutcast via a control panel through a web browser, that would be really nice too :).

Thx guys :D

Well I might have it reimaged to Debian if you really think thats good.

Is there any free panels :D. I just need as basic as basic gets. Doesn't HAVE to integrate with Cpanel (I have Cpanel+WHM+Fantastico). Even just a simple web solution(you know installed just like a helpdesk or a forum) is more than fine. As I said I'm not selling, this is just a little thing my friends wanted me to help them fool around with.

Thx for the help so far guys :D.

AH thx, that will work. :) Now just have to find something to figure out the installation of Shoutcast :).

Opening the thread

I brought my old thread back up because I'm having some issues figuring out what I need to do.

I need something that is easy to control through a web browser that will act as a online radio that plays from music files stored on the server. I would go with a Shoutcast company if I could, but I can't afford to have to broadcast to that server 24/7, I have to store the files on the server itself. I also need the webbased controll script so that I can add the music files, and have it play a small audio advertisement like every hour or so. Mind you I don't need a live DJ feed or something. Just a program to work with the Shoutcast/Icecast or whatever the server needs to broadcast, and then to feed Shoutcast/Icecast/whatever the files it dictates, like music, an advert, that sort of thing. Hoping to use AAC audio. If anyone wants to contact me on messenger to talk about options ect plz do. Just look at my profile. :)

I brought my old thread back up because I'm having some issues figuring out what I need to do.

I need something that is easy to control through a web browser that will act as a online radio that plays from music files stored on the server. I would go with a Shoutcast company if I could, but I can't afford to have to broadcast to that server 24/7, I have to store the files on the server itself. I also need the webbased controll script so that I can add the music files, and have it play a small audio advertisement like every hour or so. Mind you I don't need a live DJ feed or something. Just a program to work with the Shoutcast/Icecast or whatever the server needs to broadcast, and then to feed Shoutcast/Icecast/whatever the files it dictates, like music, an advert, that sort of thing. Hoping to use AAC audio. If anyone wants to contact me on messenger to talk about options ect plz do. Just look at my profile. :)

Starting with ut's thread I was able to work around and found two threads, one that helps me install shoutcast, and the other to install sc_trans, that will act as the local player I need. This appears to only work with mp3, which is disappointing cause I really really wanted AAC, but I can probably make it work. I'm taking ym home server here and putting on a Debian installation (minimum install via download rather than cd's). After this I'll recompile it to a custom kernal. Then I'll try those two threads on it. If all works out good, I'll look into renting out a small dedi or VPS without a CP to run this on. While I have this Debian on, I might try my ideas at IRC as well using UnrealIRCd.

Wish me luck. :beer:

Saves me asking the same questions, thanks. Just payed for http://BadBoy.FM ;) By the way ShoutCast isnt the end of broadcasting. Traktor 2.6+ the state of the art mixing software can broadcast live mixing and I belive ableton live 4.1+ cn do the same for real live sets.

Last edited:
heymrdj If you dont need panel i can setup for you shoutcast server + autopilot free of charge:)
Just MSN me: techsonpl[at]gmail.com
Regards

heymrdj If you dont need panel i can setup for you shoutcast server + autopilot free of charge:)
Just MSN me: techsonpl[at]gmail.com
Regards

No I don't just need the relay. It has to be remote. I need 5GB of space and 500GB of badwidth for users at least.

I just found out my max monthly usage would be 4TB for 100 ppl 24/7 t 128kbs not too happy!

You don't need 128. You get excellent results with 32-64. If you use AAC, you can have near full quality with 32.

Back