• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

servers, how to start a hosting company

Status
Not open for further replies.

veggie1232

ok so in like a year and a half i want to start a hosting company. but i want to start planning soon. i am almost 16 and soon be getting a job there for i can save up money for servers and what not

does anyone know a site that sells servers and stuff

i dont know much about it yet but i need sites that can teach me how to run one and how much servers coast and how everything works. i want to make some extra moeny off the net and my hosting company will offer webspace and web design because i make web design

can anyone help? i need links to sites that will help me perpare. and links to sites that sell servers for hosting companys, someone said there like about 1,000 bucks each about im not sure please help

thanks
Veggie1232

Last edited:
Then you need a business connection or you will violating your AUP/TOS and are subject to prosecution, as well as the servers that you plan on hosting content on. You will also need a switch that will be able to take all the traffic that your customers need.

Hosting your own personal site at home is one thing; trying to pass off as a real business without the proper tools is another. And by the way, it is exponentially cheaper to purchase servers and have them colocated than it is to have the same connection at home.

Last edited:
Daniel said:
If you have no clue how to go about this, then don't.

cmon give him a break. he's willing to learn, you might as well give him some advise.

as for me, i have no clue either.

moet said:
cmon give him a break. he's willing to learn, you might as well give him some advise.
No, Daniel is right.

Besides, if the thread starter is "almost 16" that would put him at 17 in a year and a half, and therefore illegal for him to run any kind of business.

start with a reseller and if you manage to survive a year as a hosty, then youll know this is for you and upgrade to a dedi box hosted somewhere

I agree start on a resellers i could offer you a discount as your youger and willing to learn dont dive into it and build a server up that you dont understand, the knowlage does not come over night it can take years! Its a proffession not a hobbie!

There are more than enough hosts :p so if you do not have experience/education for it, do not start with it ;) you will end up being bankrupt after a few months.

Really , the hosting business is hard, and if you have no knowledge about it, it will be hard to survive or even get clients...

Last edited:
Definitely agree with Neva. You should reconsider trying to make a little extra cash off of the internet, at least with this sort of business. You will need a lot of time, a lot of patience, and chances are you won't be making any cash for awhile; you will be spending lots of cash. That's just the way it goes.

However, if you are deadset on getting into this business, then by every means possible do not try to start it from your home. It is a complete bother, and you will end up regretting it once you realize what is going on after a few months of being in it. Plus, you will not require a dedicated server to begin with anyway; it will simply eat away at your start up capital and be a sour disappointment.

So, as someone else has all ready mentioned, try getting yourself a reseller account with a truly reputable company, someone you can trust. Do a lot of research, because if you don't, you will ultimately get burned. Research is the first and foremost important thing you can do in this business! It will save you mounds and mounds of money that you would be spending by trial and error, when you could simply research and then use the most effective methods.

If you make it through the infant months of reselling and you have a few clients, then maybe a dedicated server will be right for you. When this happens, and your revenue justifies such a move, then you should consider a good server provider with a datacenter of their own, no resellers. For example a lot of startups go with www.theplanet.com.

Good luck, hope you figure things out well.

Kindest Regards,
Goodydomains.com Support

moet said:

I'm sure he's willing to learn, I've got no problem with that, but there's plenty of articles, and this topic has been beaten to death here and at WHT repeatedly. However, also note it's extremely difficult to turn a profit in web hosting. Especially now, since all the more reputable companies established years ago, it will be hard to get a footing.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, I'm just brutally honest.

I have to agree with Daniel, the hosting buiness will be hard to get into, especially since alot of companies are established already. You might think it might benefit you, but the truth is there is too much competition.

At such a young age, I insist you try something else. The hosting business is very saturated, and to even get one customer these days is becoming a difficult task. It is a very competitive business and with so many hosts, not many make it past their first 6 months.

Anyway, I insist you try something else.

Let him try it. Give him some advice. I think he should start by providing hosting to one or two of his friends as practice. If that doesn't work out then webhosting isn't for him.

Hosting from home isnt an option then. I would recommend purchasing a reseller account or even a cheap VPS. Experiment with it and hopefully after a while of use you will get used to it and learn more and more.

If you ever need help, google is your best freind.

Bruce said:
No, Daniel is right.

Besides, if the thread starter is "almost 16" that would put him at 17 in a year and a half, and therefore illegal for him to run any kind of business.

lol i know people under the age of 14 who own there own hosting company

and if thats a problem i can put everything in my moms name and its not illegal if im old enoph to get a job and make miminume wage i can run my own company

and to that guy who said if you dont know anything about it dont. i know alot about computers and web design ect. you cant just know how to do something you have to learn. in ever situation in life so be quite i didnt make this thread for people to be an --- i made so i can get advice if your not going to help dont post

OK PEOPLE IM REALLY FUSTRATED. I ASKED FOR LINKS AND WAYS I CAN LEARN ABOUT IT IM NOT DUMB, I DO MY RESEARCH AND ALOT OF IT I THINGK I SAID IN A YEAR AND A HALF OR SO BEFORE I ACUALLY START IT. I ASKED FOR LINKS AND WAYS OF LEARNING HOW IT WORKS NOT WETHER ITS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT BECAUSE I DIDNT ASK YOU IF IT WAS A GOOD IDEA

WOW NO INFORMATION JUST A BUNCH OF I DONT THINK YOU SHOULD BLA BLA BLA DONT POST UNLESS YOU ARE GANA HELP. NO POSTING WETHER U THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not to be rude but im fustrated i ask for your guys help and all you do is say what a bad or good idea it is i want help not your opinion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back