• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Scam from a hosting company

Thanks - It stinks, but some other stuff in life can stick nastier. (Like, Steve could be a member of my family in need - now THAT would be a challenge I'm grateful I'm not facing!)

Wow makes you think about how bad some have it and what kind of unscruplous things people will do. I hope it works out for you.

glopes said:
Hers's RIGHT NOW what Steve Gunnels, the "Big boss" of FIDPAC.COM, writes to me:

From domainorders@fidpac.com Fri Apr 30 09:53:03 2004
Received: from ms-smtp-05.texas.rr.com ([24.93.47.44] helo=ms-smtp-05-eri0.domain.rr.com)
by tapuz.safe-mail.net with esmtp (Exim 4.30)
id 1BJYRr-000491-CA
for [MYEMAIL]; Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:53:03 -0400
Received: from super-hosts (cs2417430-171.houston.rr.com [24.174.30.171])
by ms-smtp-05-eri0.domain.rr.com (8.12.10/8.12.7) with ESMTP id i3UDqWDj012672;
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:52:32 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID: <200404300852330166.00A6888D@smtp-server.houston.rr.com>
In-Reply-To: <N1-GBaBV_fa@SAFe-mail.net>
References: <N1-GBaBV_fa@SAFe-mail.net>
X-Mailer: Calypso Version 3.30.00.00 (4)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:52:33 -0500
To: [MYEMAIL]
Subject: Re: REFUND and DOMAIN NAME management codes.
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

"Gerardo," you must be one of those cowardly Spaniards who just cut and ran like a little girl, from Iraq, no?

Sincerely

Steve Gunnels

UNBELIEVABLE.....

Theres alot of information we are not getting here,

Id like to see the email you sent him inorder to recieve such a reply....

ryza said:
Theres alot of information we are not getting here,

Id like to see the email you sent him inorder to recieve such a reply....

That was a friendly email no?

That guy, Steve, or whatever he is, must have nothing better to do but target the vulnerable.

If the domain is registered in your name, as the Registrant of that domain, you have legal rights to it.

Well my Steve Gunnels site stopped yesterday, 8/1/2005. I new he seemed shady but I had no idea he had ripped off so many people. I've been hosting with him for like 4 years now. Guess I have to start looking for a new host.

I'm sorry to see you guys have been taken advantage of and cheated. Pm me or view my sig if you would like a new host, OptikHosting will treat you much better than Steve Gunnels.

Ron

I hate steve

well count yourself lucky people I got ripped off 550 dollars for full lifetime status...I had 4 good years with them but now after an upgrade of 550, I guess steve took the money and ran....cause all my sites went down 2 days ago. now it is my mission for revenge...Im wondering if it might have been the person who was making threats to hack the servers and bring them down...that psses me off....oh yeah and right now hes holding 2 of my domains hostage with the unknown passwords. I tried to transfer them today but nothing has been transferred yet.

dc

send compaints about this host to anoncomplaints2@hotmail.com

I intend to do something about this

Last edited:
yep he ripped me off recently for an extra 149 for an "upgrade after charging me 399 sept 2004. i feel your pain!

I originally signed on with besthost and at some point they handed it over to gunnels without me knowing...explain that one. yes, all my sites recently "went under" as well without any explaination or notice...my price...550.00 gone.

Add Me To The List...

You can add me to the list of people that have also been ripped off by Steve Gunnels! "FidPac - Super.Nu" etc.... I am very upset and talking about this at the moment only adds fuel to the fire. Perhaps after some time I can include even more specific details about exactly what happened in my situation believe it or not this is the condensed brief version. :confused4

I too also received the phone call from Steve (who's a real smooth talker by the way) not that long ago to upgrade my existing services. I was already a lifetime hosting member and had paid a lump sum of $800 dollars several years ago to avoid having to pay monthly hosting rates. However most of my so called features never functioned properly. So for another $200 this so called upgrade Steve was calling me about was to ensure me that all my features I had already previously paid for to begin with, would now actually work and function plus a whole lot more. Steve was very sympathetic about the previous features not working and said things like "oh just give me a chance to make it up to you and prove to you, trust me you won't be disappointed." Thinking back about that conversation now makes me sick! Steve knows the right things to say and tells you what you want to hear, he's a con who's main intention is getting your money! I would double check any credit card statements that you provided Steve the card # number with, because Steve also took funds from a credit card with out any permission. :devious2:

So for a while things were running fine and all seemed to be well. One of the main newly added features in this upgrade package was the virtually no down time because it was all run on a "DUAL" server were if one server went down the other server would kick in. Well on Aug 1st 2005 all just disappeared like some terrible magic trick all my websites are gone along with all e-mail, no more contact or access to server, in fact no more Steve Gunnels! Being a lifetime hosting member I felt trapped like I had no choice or option but to hope eventually things would in time all work out. Where was I going to go this was a suppose to be my hosting provider for life. Thus instead of getting myself out of the nightmare when all the warning signs were smacking me in the face! Like a fool I only dove myself in deeper! :eek:

Now I'm not even sure what I should do or who to turn to for help, but one thing is for sure. It's obvious I'm not alone here many have fallen victim to this fraud with all of us together you would think something could be done about this scam? Because apparently I guess you can sell services to people on the internet bill and collect their money through credit cards and then just pliantly rip them off with no regard and have absolutely no consequences to be paid for doing so? No matter if anyone is able to be reimbursed one cent of their losses or not. Steve Gunnels should go to prison for all the good, kind and trusting people he has ripped off! Steve Gunnels is a criminal plain and simple guilty of committing felony fraud on a massive scale. :shame:

RipclaW

Gunnels is going down

I just emailed intellihost (run by a gunnel) and said

"Just wanted to know where your friend steve gunnels is, theres some people looking for him" :p

that made me a little feel better

I'm another member of the "August Shut Down". Last spring I paid for a life-time host and you know the rest of the story. I will definetly be contacting the BBB in WI and the TV Consumer Reporter to get after Steve Gunnels. The details of my experience with SG is a ditto of all that has been said.

I'm also a victim of Steve Gunnels

Hello everyone,

Also count me among the victims of Steve Gunnels.

Fortunately I have resisted to the temptation to subscribe for his lifetime hosting but have upgraded to the dual Xeon 3 months ago for 4 or my websites. Steve Gunnels even phoned me from Texas in Belgium where I'm based (that is the reason why my English is far from being perfect :) )

I went on holidays last Monday and was harassed several times at my holiday place by some of my clients (I'm a webdesigner) telling me that their website was down for 2 days. I came back home today to ascertain that all my websites hosted by Steve Gunnels have vanished.

If someone has some informations and can tell me who to contact to at least recover my datas, I'd be very grateful.

I wanted to add that I have always appreciated Dan Levesques' support and that I'm very sorry if he is the first victim of Steve Gunnel.

It's very hard for me to act against Steve Gunnels from Belgium, but I hope that a lot of people in US will contact the right authorities to complain about Steve Gunnel's behaviour and just hope that he'll spend a few time in jail.

Good luck on getting your data. I contacted EV1 servers support which was hosting my Steve Gunnels server (ns52.super-hosts.com), and they would not help me at all. I asked if I could at least just get my data and they said I had to go through Steve. Unfortunately alot of people would like to talk to Steve now, but he isn't answering.

If anyone has any luck getting their data from EV1 servers please tell us how.

Another Steve Gunnels knotch on the bedpost!

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum and am just amazed at what I have read. I was charged twice on the credit > the bank is after him and I closed the account. My site is gone and TG I have it all on disc.

Yes he is a scam and there are over 40 complaints with the Houston BBB. It is interesting there is a reference to a Canadian company......Dave of Becanada emailed me today and pretended to know nothing. I don't think so because I first signed with Best Host also and suddenly there was Steve at Super.nu.

The amount of money I lost is not small change and perhaps the bank can recover part of it for me. It is the reality that as wonderful as the internet is ( I even found out how to repair my dishwasher the other day!) it is full of snake oil vendors not unlike the ones who preyed on the pioneers on their way west. It makes everyone look bad. In business we often have to rely on phone conversations, web sites, printed ads and email to make investment decisions and as one of you said......he is a smooth salesman.

However, as my name says I don't give up easily. If any of you glean any scraps of info to track him down please send it along to me. ITM I am preparing a written letter to the Houston BBB.

So if Steve is reading these posts,,,,,,http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=584297#
Shame

Let's get him

I got taken by Steve Gunnels too. I had purchased a lifetime membership at super.nu and as of August 1st, my sites were down.

The bank will not help me, the cops don't care, not sure what the BBB can do. We need to act together and file a class action lawsuit against him or something to that nature. If you guys have ideas, I'm down.

In the meantime I sent an e-mail to WCBS 2 News in New York where they do a "Shame on you Segment" hoping they call me back. I have a contact there and hope they will be able to do something.
While I wait for them I'm also wishing colan cancer on Steve Gunnels.

So I would like to collect as much information as possible. If anyone has contacted a lawyer or anything I would love to hear about it.
I may do the same, but I think we should all do it together. (There is stength in numbers)

Please feel free to e-mail me your contact information and I will get back to you ASAP so we can work together.
I can be reached at iclicktv@yahoo.com

Also bent over by Steve Gunnels....

I am pretty much in the same boat as the others here. I have been with Steve Gunnels super.nu for about 4 years and in June he started sending me multiple emails stating that the server I was on was being retired and I had a choice of upgrading to lifetime membership or having my site and email down for an undetermined amount of time until they could move me to another regular server. I emailed him and told him I couldn't afford the $500 plus he wanted and reminded him that I had recently paid $169 for 2 years and $89 for upgrades. I also reminded him that I'd been having email server problems for months that he never was able to totally fix and the server side spam program always let 100's through a day. He blamed that on the old server not being secure and thats why they were getting rid of it He then called me at home June 21, 2005 and talked me into upgrading to lifetime for $299. Things went reasonably well until 2 weeks ago when I started having email problems again (bouts of email server being down for minutes to hours) and I emailed him several times and received no response whatsoever. Then last friday my site and all of super.nu, gunnel.org etc all went dead. Emails to Steve Gunnels bounced and his phone has been disconnected (877-231-9303). Last night I finally broke down and went with another provider but still waiting for the new nameservers to propagate so thats now 3 days no email. I will find out tomorrow if the bank can help or not with the $299 but I suspect not. Yes he is a real smooth talker and he deserves a nice long jail sentence with a large cellmate named "bubba"

If anyone figures out how to get this guy legally (class action suit etc) I'm in.

Dave

PS: Remember that this guy potentially has all your passwords for email, webspace/ftp etc. When switching to new host use all new passwords!

Last edited:
It's terrible that a single person can cause so many people all this trouble. :shame:

talked me into upgrading to lifetime for $299

Just a tip, though I am sure you are aware of it now, never pay for anything that involves the words unlimited or lifetime. The former relies on users using only a small percentage of the resources available to them and the later relies on a constant stream of new customers signing up a year or two down the track to finance existing customers. It may work for a short period of time, but something is bound to go wrong in the long run and their customers will inevitably end up worst off.

We are happy to give anyone who has been ripped off by this guy a 10% discount on any of our plans. :)

Gunnels - Oh boy!!! Join the club

We are interested in your response TJR Networks.

I see you are from NZ also. I will check out your offer of hosting. Where are your servers physically and geographically located? I will never deal with a company again who is offshore. I originally joined the lifetime hosting through a company in Ashburton NZ called Century Host now called Acehost who dropped me as quick as hot coal when they broke from fidpac and Gunnels. Until then I thought I was using services provided in NZ.

I upgraded recently as well to the new dual Xeon servers and my email and spam problems worsened and Steve answered my emails quickly and corrected the situation. I felt good about that but then other small problems occured including downtime as I was loading up clients on the space we have (had) I have spent the last two days round the clock just dealing with disaster recovery for my clients. Fortunately I have backups of all the files. Well I will leave it at this point since other contributors to this forum have said it all before me.
Very disappointed we are. Very sad that it appears we have been conned again by unscrupulous Americans. :confused4 We will be steering clear of all future offers from USA. Sad but true - a few spoils it for the rest.

Good luck to the rest of you
John

Back