• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Running your own servers

This is most important when you choose your host for managed dedicated servers. They should be able to provide you quality support and and when you needed.

I can't really see any benefits in running your own server from home.. best thing to do is buy one and get it colocated..

Have you ever considered running your own server on your own home PC? What would that require? Will the cost for running one's own server be less or more than the cost of paid hosting?

Yes you can use wamp to set it up but what about bandwidth your better off buying a box and co-locating if you must have your own server.

severs run quite hot so you would also need a good cooling room

To get decent bandwidth, you'd have to get a T1, or at least have FIOS at a minimum to attempt hosting at your home. If your hosting other peoples websites I would discourage it. Its just not a secure environment, too man liabilities, performance issues, and risks.

Colocation might be a bit of a leap, just starting out. Quite honestly, I'd start off with a good vps, or reseller account somewhere and grow your business, while capitalizing on the resources of a good datacenter/hosting provider. Maybe start out with a managed vps as some have said, or even a managed server (if you can afford it). I'd make sure its managed, so you don't have to worry about the technical things, and can focus on growing your business.

Back