• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Right mouse clicking

sander k

NLC
How do I disallow right mouse clicking on images (copy/download) ?
Would that also work with OSCommerce?

I know that people can also find a link in the source code, but I don't care about that.

Personally I close all windows to any website that blocks right click. I use right click + open in new tab or right click + open in new window depending on what I am looking at. Blocking that is a deal breaker.

In addition to that, you aren't really protecting your images. You can simply use File + Save Page As to bypass the block completely while downloading all images on the page.

Yep, I'm right with LP-Trel. That was a nice little toy back in the 90's. Now it's just completely annoying. I came across a site like that the other day when I was looking to buy some computer parts. Not only could I not right click, it popped up a stupid alert message saying "Copyright blah blah, please do not steal our images". I just went somewhere else, and emailed the company to let them know they lost a sale.

Same here, the attitude of copyright zealousness that leads to such tricks stands out more by itself. I know, it's a complex issue, but the movement to ultra lock everything lately feels like the opposite of what computers were meant to do.

How do I disallow right mouse clicking on images (copy/download) ?
Would that also work with OSCommerce?

I know that people can also find a link in the source code, but I don't care about that.

Here is the link which will help you to disable right click on your image http://www.w3schools.com/dhtml/dhtml_examples.asp But I think its not worth disabling a right click on images as it may be helpful only in cases of dumb people not in the case of professionals.

Last edited:
So, you think it is better not to do that right clicking block. What about water marking the images instead then?

(if this needs a new thread tell me - i think its relevant)

Does blocking right click have an effect on the images appearing in search results?

So, you think it is better not to do that right clicking block. What about water marking the images instead then?
I think water marking is a better idea as it is quite easy to make a print-screen of the image when you can't right-click it. However, I can't understand why you don't want to share your images. Wouldn't that provide you with linking opportunities and increase traffic to your Website? I'm on the user end of images, and if I come across a Website where I can't right-click an image I just move on and never return. If the reason you don't want people to copy images is because you are selling the images, then why not make sure that you have the minimum of reasonable quality, i.e. maximum 3 inches in width and 72 resolution. And use that as an incentive for people to visit your Website and set it up in a way that they would want to buy the higher resolution images - or ask permission to use the higher resolution images if they are serious about them to that extent. Sort of psychological. I don't visit Websites that have right-clicking de-activated, nor Websites with images that have water marks on them.

(if this needs a new thread tell me - i think its relevant)

It isn't a new thread to me. As I am still talking of image protecting in OSCommerce.

Does blocking right click have an effect on the images appearing in search results?

No it wouldn't.

I think water marking is a better idea as it is quite easy to make a print-screen of the image when you can't right-click it. However, I can't understand why you don't want to share your images. Wouldn't that provide you with linking opportunities and increase traffic to your Website? I'm on the user end of images, and if I come across a Website where I can't right-click an image I just move on and never return. If the reason you don't want people to copy images is because you are selling the images, then why not make sure that you have the minimum of reasonable quality, i.e. maximum 3 inches in width and 72 resolution. And use that as an incentive for people to visit your Website and set it up in a way that they would want to buy the higher resolution images - or ask permission to use the higher resolution images if they are serious about them to that extent. Sort of psychological. I don't visit Websites that have right-clicking de-activated, nor Websites with images that have water marks on them.

Its about a webshop for art. The owner/maker doesn't want people to copy his art.

Personally, I block a website, click on the right to close all the windows. I use the right click + new tab is opened, depending on what I'm Looking for You. In addition, all contracts that have been blocking breaker.In, you can save your photos that are not really. You can only file, you can use the page to save all images as a block to completely ignore the page to download.

just dont

I think blocking right mouse key is one of the most anoying things a webmaster can do.
Its not very usefull and it will (for me) seriously increase bounce rate.
You cant protect your content anyways, everyone can make a screenshot of copy text anyways regarding what you do.

My advice just dont do it

Thats true, but you will be able to stop the people that would like to snatch an image fast.
But I guess I am not going to do that blocking.

Thanks for your help guys.

Back