• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Review this baby, metaskim

Wherever you got that template is old because it uses tables. New design in these days uses <div> css.
In the footer is something about my City but has some characters that I am unable to read. ÅŸti44.433300018311,26.10000038147not ie

yo Devin, glad to see you back brother. you have a php error outputing for twitter stuff...

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/newsvers/public_html/skimmy/trend.php on line 16

other than that, i like the look and feel of the site.

@aboutweb, yes, tables are outdated, but, the design itself is not old school. IMO, it is fine being in tables, but, it is not how i would choose to do any site myself. also, i dont thing that the footer is an error, it looks like it is showing your coordinates.

@Devin, it does take a loooooong time to load too. see about speeding that b!tch up.

Wherever you got that template is old because it uses tables. New design in these days uses <div> css.
In the footer is something about my City but has some characters that I am unable to read. ÅŸti44.433300018311,26.10000038147not ie

Template? Real web developers make it from scratch, which is what I did. It's true div/css is the way to go for modern blogs and similar sites, but when you're looking at large amounts of data, tables are an easier and quicker way to organize them.

Ignore the footer info, it's there for my debugging.

I'm not saying the design is bad, but it just took a long time to render for me.

Yes, load time is a definite problem I'm seeing. I've updated the backend, so load time should be decreased by half.

yo Devin, glad to see you back brother. you have a php error outputing for twitter stuff...

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/newsvers/public_html/skimmy/trend.php on line 16

other than that, i like the look and feel of the site.

@aboutweb, yes, tables are outdated, but, the design itself is not old school. IMO, it is fine being in tables, but, it is not how i would choose to do any site myself. also, i dont thing that the footer is an error, it looks like it is showing your coordinates.

@Devin, it does take a loooooong time to load too. see about speeding that b!tch up.
That error is really odd. I've never seen it before and don't see it now. Screenshot?

yeah, it showed up on the first load, but, not on a refresh. it is probably random when twitter overloads or something. i have seen problems with twitter things like that before.

I think the site looks pretty great, although I would say there's a lot of information on there for just one page... Perhaps add some javascript so it only shows selected categories, or just add different pages.

@Johnson, be aware that Google changed algo and now he will brign news aggregators down on search results.
I've read that article (found it on metaskim, in fact). Yes the site wouldn't rank highly for searches that contain specific content on the site, but it wouldn't anyway, since the content continuously updates. Plus I wasn't aiming to rank for those queries.

one word: Sweeeeet. On a side note, i'd tweak the text for the categories (top, local, etc.) on the "lite" mode so that they stand out a bit more from the background.
Also: an ability to sign up to maintain a customised home page would be amazing.

Last edited:
one word: Sweeeeet. On a side note, i'd tweak the text for the categories (top, local, etc.) on the "lite" mode so that they stand out a bit more from the background.
Also: an ability to sign up to maintain a customised home page would be amazing.

Thanks. Yeah I'm trying to figure out what to do with those links. And I want to create a user system, with customizableness, but that's something I'd have to hire out for and I don't have the cash as of now.

i like the other design. this one would be ok, but, for people like me, with high resolution, the background image just cuts off. fade it to the black and it will be better

You should have a section at the top explaining what it does. Because it took me a while to figure it out, and most visitors will probably have this problem. Maybe you could load the footer explanation link to new visitors by default.

And I reckon you should load the fancy background as default, it really brings together the design.

i like the other design. this one would be ok, but, for people like me, with high resolution, the background image just cuts off. fade it to the black and it will be better

Whats your resolution? Screenshot? I'm at 1920x1080 and I dont get black bars.

Love it. Though I think the feed sections need a bit more diversity. Maybe even a "like this:" part. I always like to find new website feeds to subscribe to, but that post other material they don't all post collectively (like Slashdot, TechCrunch and Engadget all posting about the latest iMac or Andriod phone). Loads very fast too, not sure how slow it was previously, but it loads in about 3 seconds for me. Local could do with better diverse content too. Mine is just full of football/boxing because of Liverpool. In relation to video, I see you have Hulu on there. Could possibly use our geo-locations to determine video suggestions we can actually watch? Since I'm in the UK Hulu is useless to me.

Back