• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Require TLD?

You want it moved to "Free hosting discussions" or "Host Talk"?

As for your question - who should stop them if they are "not allowed to run"?

I agree Peo.

I don't think they should "not be allowed to run", I think that is these people can successfully launch a website hosting company with no money invested, they should receive some level of respect. Perhaps these hosts are more concerned with spending money on infrastructure then they are with domain names.

All in all, I think that while the market is competitive, we should take a neutral approach towards each other and not try to undermine people who just start off in hosting. Perhaps they won't get off the ground, maybe they will. Who can be sure. If you are concerned about whether or not they are legitimate, or they can be trusted, then perhaps you shouldn't buy from them :)

Sarmth, I think you're missing the point...big time. What kind of legitimate business can't afford $6/year for a domain name? It has nothing to do with spending that $6 on infrastructure (what kind of infrastructure are they going to buy for $6? ROFL!) or anything else. It has to do with trust, and the fact that these folks are not running legitimate businesses.

Would you honestly trust doing business with a "company" that can't afford a $6 in an entire year?

wswd, you may think that, and i accept you opinion, but I agree with sarmth. How else would the market equilibrium be stable? People see a demand for hosting, the more firms in the industry mean hosts are competing for customers, as a result there is always a promo making this a buyers market. As a company, Im sure you know that free domains arnt good, but at the same time if they want to spend $6 on a reseller account instead of a domain, Im all fine with that, its $6 extra in my pocket.

Competention is always good. My point still stands. You have 14 year old kids running illegal businesses out of their basements. They use some free template, and all of the sudden look like a big company. You've done the right thing and became a LLC. How does it make you feel that you're running a legitimate business, spending legitimate money on servers and equipment, paying taxes, etc., and some kid comes along running an illegal business with a free domain name, free reseller account from Youhosting? Doesn't that piss you off a little bit?

Secondly, don't you care about the potential clients? We're plagued in this industry by a lack of regulation. In other businesses, the consumer is protected due to much needed regulation and bureaucracy. You can't open a restaurant, for example, without the appropriate documentation, licenses, etc. When I opened an office for our hosting business, I had to get a business license, permits, etc. Consumers know I'm a real, legitimate business. How many of these hosts using free domains just up and disappear, taking everyones' money with them? I can list probably hundreds that have gone under, in the 16+ years I've been around the industry.

The "market equilibrium" can be plenty stable with legitimate businesses. How do you think the market equilibrium stabilizes itself in any other industry? You really need illegal businesses with no business plans, no investment, etc.? Give me a break.

the strRese

I also agree, they are unable to buy a domain for $10.00 but can afford a server?
How is this possible when you also must pay there WHMCS,cPanel and so on it's probably all nulled! (WHMCS)
I hate it when I see hosts like this, and then they have no heart and rip there customers off!

It is likely the "Company" is being run by a 10 year old of whom got a reseller account free of charge otherwise if you can afford a server, you certainly can afford a domain name.

@buzzhostingUK, true statement. Just don't like the fact that went a lot of them start up, they believe they are the greatest thing in the world and argue about it.

Hey, please, don't ban the free domains. They are good.

wswd, please take out the 14 years old kid, and sponsor them out.

Why would I do that? What's in it for me? I'll spend my money so 14 year old kids can make money and I get nothing in return? No thanks...

This is what my project was all about. It went for another metric than the company's own press releases saying how good they were. And yes, I got a lot of charismatic operators who were all enthused at the startup. Then I just let time do its thing.

I wouldn't really want a ban on free domain names - it's like the heavy handed answer to the underlying problem. Clients just want a stable place to be. It's a good heuristic that the TLD operations last longer, but as my project helped me understand, having a TLD was no magic bullet either. I would have accepted a winner using a free domain if it won its category fair and square.

Put a little more fancy, don't even put a 10 post requirement etc - just empower the clients more. That's why my project specifically ignored host histrionics, and simply started the clock timer. "If you live, I'll notice. If you croak, too bad for you". I think my rules were pretty fair, and I hope some people see it as a useful new concept of service. In other industries it's called "Attestation" - I Attest that my winners survived the notorious burnout cycle of 4-7-9 months, and so are statistically more likely to be good hosts. I provided a little advice to help the hosts, but otherwise I'm neutral - no particular agenda with the entrants. So there they are.

Sure, there are more good hosts that did not enter my project for various reasons, and ones that emerged after I closed it, but of the winners I picked, I basically only had one "bad guess" and that was cWahi's unfortunate data loss incident, but the company itself is still around and they were rock solid up to that point.

I feel I am a pioneer but I will surely not be the only such Attestation service. So then what happens is when a new host shows up, it is sorta chicken and egg, they need clients, but clients need to know that they won't hit that magic zone when they all drop like flies. So very roughly, just check a host's sign on date, and maybe with a little searching make sure it's a year old with the same company name. Basically my project in a nutshell says that if a host lasts a year, they're worth looking at.

Who knows ? Maybe their vps specs are beasts. But I think its not more likely to happen. Since yeah, they can't afford 2-10$ domains.

But I think they should be allowed to give free hosting packages, but not on paid hosting packages.

Just my cents.

I don't think there should be an 'rule' about domains for web hosts, however I personally would not trust a host using a free domain name.

I don't think there should be an 'rule' about domains for web hosts, however I personally would not trust a host using a free domain name.

The problem is that many clueless potential clients have no idea what a free domain name is, or what it entails. They come to a site like this, see a "company" offering unlimited everything for $2, using some .tk domain name, and the rest is history. They don't realize the potential issues with that.

I think we should put up a page to deter some of these "unlimited" hosts and to teach new clients/users the facts of web hosting. I know short and quick videos are a great an easy way to teach people.

Back