• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Replacing BH?

Aquatix

I know I'm probably on my own here, but...

I'm quite a fan of Bordhost.com forums - I have one or two running which are very successful. (Simple to set up, simple to maintain, no registration for users, etc. - maybe I'm just too lazy to set up something more robust!:D)

I was hoping to set up a new one for a site which I'm developing, but signups are closed (again) and it looks pretty permenant this time.

Does anyone know a site which offers similar services?

Cheers.

- Aquatix

Yea, but MOST people like the vB/UBB style more, as it attracts more visitors. (proboards.com I think has them remotely hosted.)

Wrong...it doesn't seem like very many people on FWS.net are knowledgable in the remotely hosted boards category. You can check out my site (http://www.9cy.com/~freeboards) and try some of the ones lower down the ranks (WWWBoards tend to rank lower). You can definitely try Network54.com (http://www.network54.com ).

And as for a linear layout, I don't think they would attract visitors anymore. Definitely, they would KEEP users more easily, but as for attracting users, WWWBoards has a HUGE edge. Everybody hates the process of registering, as it always is a hassle, especially with e-mail verification enabled. What about UBB-style boards with registration disabled? Somehow, it just doesn't look right when you go to a UBB board that doesn't require registration. I don't know why...And some people are seriously sick of seeing UBB-style boards since there's NEVER any variation.

WWWBoards has a HUGE edge. Everybody hates the process of registering, as it always is a hassle, especially with e-mail verification enabled.

Exactly.

As much as I like UBB, PHPBB, VB, IB, etc. type forums, from the view of simplicity, general "quick messages", "drop in" posts from random visitors and the fact that they are easy to maintain/set-up, WWWBoards are great!

- Aquatix :)

Originally posted by Aquatix

Exactly.

As much as I like UBB, PHPBB, VB, IB, etc. type forums, from the view of simplicity, general "quick messages", "drop in" posts from random visitors and the fact that they are easy to maintain/set-up, WWWBoards are great!

- Aquatix :)
But the fact that WWWBoards are not appealing in terms of looks gives you more reason to use BBS.

Originally posted by Aquatix

Customized WWWBoards can look pretty good...

- Aquatix :p
However, the fact that WWWBoards would never be organised remains true, until the day when they see organising info as a top priority from easy interface. ;)

Yes, I agree that WWWboards are really bad in terms of organization. It's hard to find your way around, especially if you have a message board as popular as FreeWebspace. I would go for the linear look too.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Yes, I agree that WWWboards are really bad in terms of organization. It's hard to find your way around, especially if you have a message board as popular as FreeWebspace. I would go for the linear look too.
Hehe...Reinforcements! WWWBoards are only for beginners.

Hahaha! Imagine FWS running on a WWWBoard. I was planning to use it on a site where the forum would be expected to recieve 20-30 messages per day.

- Aquatix

You don't have to imagine, FWS did use WWWBoard. Later it used WebBBS, which is also threaded.

I still don't get the argument that threaded message boards are unorganized. They're immensely more structured than their linear counterparts.

Yeah, I discovered that FreeWebspace once used a WWWBoard when searching at archive.org. :)

BTW, Dusty, threaded boards may not necessarily be unorganized, but they are definitely hard to use. I mean, most of them have one POST per page. That means, to see all the replies of a 200-reply thread, you would have to go to 200 different pages. And what if they are all the replies listed on the SAME page on a WWWBoard? If that's the case, why not just go for a linear board? It would save space on your topic listing page. Speaking of the topic listing page, posts that get lots of replies greatly elongate the page. We want to avoid that, if possible.

Last edited:
I mean, most of them have one POST per page. That means, to see all the replies of a 200-reply thread, you would have to go to 200 different pages.
Where as here you've just got to wade through 13 pages? Then again, with a threaded board you don't have to read, or download for that matter, all the messages. If you've already read all but the last post of a thread, you can just go directly to it. If you've only been following a particular part of the thread, you can totally ignore the rest and never have to see it.
And what if they are all the replies listed on the SAME page on a WWWBoard? If that's the case, why not just go for a linear board?
Um... wouldn't that be a linear board? With all the post listed consecutively, you've sort of lost the threaded aspect.
It would save space on your topic listing page. Speaking of the topic listing page, posts that get lots of replies greatly elongate the page. We want to avoid that, if possible.
WWWBoard isn't the only threaded message board and it's by far not the best. In better scripts you can select to only show the first message on the index, with the rest of the thread being on it, and you can limit the number of threads shown on the index or break them up into multiple pages.

Back