• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reclaiming domain?

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
Hey guys,

Just a quick question RE: domains.

If an IT rep has bought and set up a domain name (including e-mail accounts only, URL itself leads to a construction page) and has made it difficult for business managers to get control of it, what steps do you recommend for reclaiming the domain? Basically the guy ignores correspondence, won't assist, etc...

It has been registered under the IT guy's name, whilst I would usually just re-register another appropriate name, this would lead to the loss of the appointed e-mail addresses currently in use by the business.

I'm a bit sketchy, haven't done any of this stuff for a few years now. However we are now at the point where we'd like to get an actual website up and running, and reorganise the e-mails etc.

Does the IT rep work for the company? Or has he bought it himself, and is allowing the business to operate under those emails? If the first one, sue him through the company. Go through the "ICANN's Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy". If it's the 2nd one, not 100% since he is the owner of it, the emails can be seen as a kind offering. But you might have something to claim on.

Check this website eitherway, http://www.keytlaw.com/urls/urllaw.htm

Do you have some kind of proof that are the owner of the domain, like a contract, if so, sue him and contact ICANN, if you don't, it might be harder to win it back.

Hey guys,

The registrant is the company's trust.
The contact name is an ex-employee.
The tech contact name/info is the IT guy who isn't forthcoming with any information or help.

After looking at the site linked, looks like the company trust 'owns' the domain. What steps do you guys recommend from here?

Thanks for the quick replies :D

In that case, the company can sue him. First, I'd get your company to send a lawyer to contact the IT guy, hopefully he should give in. If not, visit the ICANN website. The only way you can claim it back is through ICANN's Dispute Resolution.

http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm

Who is the domain registered through i would contact them and advised who you are with a letter from the comapny trust with a signature from the lawyer and the trust and certified by notary and contact them by phone and fax them the info they should be able to move it over to you if you have proof in the dispute. That is how i got mine back.

Who is the domain registered through i would contact them and advised who you are with a letter from the comapny trust with a signature from the lawyer and the trust and certified by notary and contact them by phone and fax them the info they should be able to move it over to you if you have proof in the dispute. That is how i got mine back.

Really???
Do you always register domain names in the such way?

NO, i bought through a shady host who bought the domain and was supposed to transfer it and never did

but i had the purchase contract and billing statements. Well i was paying 5 dollars a year for the domain name.

Reclaiming domain

Hi,

A client of mine has done a big leaflet drop and entered their domain with an ampersand as opposed to the word and.

Is there anything I can do with htaccess/dns/whatever to redirect the incorrect urls to the correct url? I am aware ampersands cannot be used in domain names, however the client wasnt.

Thanks
Andy

you would have some info and proofs of his work in your company.
better contact that guy directly and try to solve it without going to any bad situation

Back