• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Rackshack Buys Webhostingtalk

Coight

NLC
NLC
Wow big news, the owner of rackshack is on webhostingradio.com now :).

Gotta love those american accents!

Originally posted by Viper[X]
Pitty its not working

It's working fine for me :), not sure but everyone is worried they will place "Rackshack" everywhere. Headsurfer also said that he holds high regards for our own Chicken!

I think its great that Matt made the sale.. I just don't understand one thing. RackShack, can't even moderate there own forums.. how on Earth, is he going to handle WHT?

No, I won't sell FreeWebspace.net to a web hosting company. I've had a couple of requests, but no thanks.

I beleive FWS is now the largest independent web hosting related forum?

Originally posted by Peo
No, I won't sell FreeWebspace.net to a web hosting company. I've had a couple of requests, but no thanks.

Never sell it :D

No, I can't talk about that, but in most cases there wasn't any amount offered, just questions about the site and if I was interested in selling. Which I'm not.

Originally posted by Archbob
You guys think its just another way for rackshack to promote itself?

Well, I don't think RS would invest thousands upon thousands of dollars they could have spent on new equipment or even a staff member on something they don't intend to use as a source of advertising. Now, from the sounds of things, nothing much is going to change, except the price of advertising. Perhaps with the new ownership, it will be easier for us web hosts to get even considered as an advertiser :)

Originally posted by Peo

I would say that it is. But please never ever sell fws.net, it would be horrible. Welcome to "Rackshack FreeWebSpace.Net", Arghhhhh

Personally I dont like the idea of RS owning WHT. I have often heard Microsoft claim what RS claims...preservation of the service. It's bull. A smaller less aggressive host I wouldnt have a problem with since they would most likely do it for the advert rotation revenue potential, not abuse. But one as large as RS?? They did it to spit in the face of all the other hosts there. "Look what I can do!"...yeah, and?

Our office was actually going to make a bid. Had we done so, I think we would have gotten it because it was higher than the rumored selling price. But I took a step back and looked at it for what it is. It's a forum with less than 200 people per day coming there on a regular basis. If they cleaned out all inactive members, they would most likely have less than 300 after that. Out of the couple hundred that visit each day, most have a host they are with that they are happy with, and the rest are hosts themselves. The only reason for a host to buy it would be to spit in the faces of all the other hosts there, of course, they arent going to openly admit they are doing it for that reason... So I had no intention of making an offer after I came to that conclusion. Better worded, they are doing it for the bragging rights where they can say all these other hosts use THEIR forum.. I will never put myself or my company under the thumb of another host of that size in that manner.

Was it worth $30,000? No. Maybe $10,000 and that's pushing it. Since it did sell high, I agree with one post I saw in that thread there...the mods should get at least a small % of the money since they basically did all the work to keep it fairly cleaned up. I dont blame Matt for taking the money....I just dont like the fact that a wannabe miniature Microsoft now has control of it. CIHost could have bought it up just as fast, and would have made all the same promises and used all the same words that HS is doing.

Personally I would have been far happier to see someone like Peo be able to buy it out..

Originally posted by Webdude
Personally I dont like the idea of RS owning WHT. I have often heard Microsoft claim what RS claims...preservation of the service. It's bull. A smaller less aggressive host I wouldnt have a problem with since they would most likely do it for the advert rotation revenue potential, not abuse. But one as large as RS?? They did it to spit in the face of all the other hosts there. "Look what I can do!"...yeah, and?

Our office was actually going to make a bid. Had we done so, I think we would have gotten it because it was higher than the rumored selling price. But I took a step back and looked at it for what it is. It's a forum with less than 200 people per day coming there on a regular basis. If they cleaned out all inactive members, they would most likely have less than 300 after that. Out of the couple hundred that visit each day, most have a host they are with that they are happy with, and the rest are hosts themselves. The only reason for a host to buy it would be to spit in the faces of all the other hosts there, of course, they arent going to openly admit they are doing it for that reason... So I had no intention of making an offer after I came to that conclusion. Better worded, they are doing it for the bragging rights where they can say all these other hosts use THEIR forum.. I will never put myself or my company under the thumb of another host of that size in that manner.

Was it worth $30,000? No. Maybe $10,000 and that's pushing it. Since it did sell high, I agree with one post I saw in that thread there...the mods should get at least a small % of the money since they basically did all the work to keep it fairly cleaned up. I dont blame Matt for taking the money....I just dont like the fact that a wannabe miniature Microsoft now has control of it. CIHost could have bought it up just as fast, and would have made all the same promises and used all the same words that HS is doing.

Personally I would have been far happier to see someone like Peo be able to buy it out..
Well said, i am going to have to agree with you on that.

Originally posted by Peo
No, I can't talk about that, but in most cases there wasn't any amount offered, just questions about the site and if I was interested in selling. Which I'm not.

IF you were to sell ... i would have a clause in the sale that the current moderators and forum admins must remain :)

Back