• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question about jobs

syd

NLC
NLC
If you had a job as a server in a chinese food place, getting around 25 hours a week and making about $800/month, would you leave it to go work in a more upscale clothing store? For the same amount of hours, maybe a little more pay but have to buy clothing/meals? My meals are free and I have a uniform right now.

I'm kinda on the fence here. I've only been at the chinese job for 4 months, but it's in the same mall as the clothing store and I would have a fairly good chance at a job offer

I don't know what to do :confused2

I would apply to the clothing store anyway. If you get the job, it must be a step up from your current job.

And you don't go home smelling of Chinese tucker :)

Hmmm...wouldn't you have to buy clothing either way? By clothing I mean non work clothes. To your question, I would do what motivates me more, considering both are fairly similar in terms of benifits/ pay.

Thing is, I would have to buy all new dressy clothing. I don't really dress up too much except on weekend nights. It would probably cost me around $500 for a new wardrobe because this is the kind of store that sells tank tops for $90, skirts for $250 and gowns for $2000. Chanel.

Do some math, and go with the one that gives you the most $$$...

It's all about $$$ these days...

Unless if you live in a country where they don't use dollars.

Hmm...could you work both? I guess 25 hours with whatever you would get at the clothing store might be a bit much though...

Just do whatever you would enjoy doing more...

Or, think of what would look better on your resume for your career.

I couldn't work at both cause it is a daytime position, and so is my current job.

I think it's best to keep my current job, seeing as though I'm the most "senior" server there and I need to still train all new servers they're hiring. I wouldn't want to ditch my bosses like that (one is really nice, the other, yuck)

working for the clothing store can be good for your resume. once you get sales experience, it looks good on your resume if you want to apply for a sales position elsewhere.. it makes you more flexible in the long run..

but do whatever seems right for the money....

Eventually, you'll discover that money isn't everything...
Look inside yourself and consider carefully, which job would you be happier working. All things being equal, would you be happier selling chinese food, or designer clothing? Also, consider the possibility of advancement. Which position would allow for eventual promotion, and how far?
Making good money doesn't mean much when you hate your job, and making a bit less, doing something you enjoy, is a reward in itself. Making more money in a job you love is the bast of both worlds, but the decision is still only yours to make.

Originally posted by syd
I think it's best to keep my current job, seeing as though I'm the most "senior" server there and I need to still train all new servers they're hiring. I wouldn't want to ditch my bosses like that (one is really nice, the other, yuck)

I would advise you to keep your current job...since you've worked there a long time..you might get promoted someday..which would gareantee you more money and would look good on your resume in the future:)

but that's just my opinion:)

I get tips, but I'm not allowed to keep them, it's a stupid policy and I hate it. I know for sure I wouldn't get promoted, but I wouldn't want to be the manager of a restaurant (the next highest position, cause I'm the most experienced and only full-time server). Being the manager sucks, and I'm white so they wouldn't consider me (you'd be suprised how racist it is lol)

Originally posted by Gayowulf
Do you get tips at the chinese place?
I guess so usually when we go to a chinese restaurant, my mother leaves some $1-$2.

Damn not allowed to keep tips is damn shit.

Come to Singapore and eat all the chinese food you want:p

Originally posted by syd
I get tips, but I'm not allowed to keep them, it's a stupid policy and I hate it. I know for sure I wouldn't get promoted, but I wouldn't want to be the manager of a restaurant (the next highest position, cause I'm the most experienced and only full-time server). Being the manager sucks, and I'm white so they wouldn't consider me (you'd be suprised how racist it is lol)
I don't think you'll get very far working at the restaurant, especially if you don't get to keep your tips. If the money situation is tight, I would stay around for a while at the restaurant and save the money I earn. Sometimes it's not how much you earn, but how much you save. I'm sure with your restaurant experience, you can apply at another restaurant where they allow you to keep your tips, or at least give you a share of the tips.

Then, when you're comfortable in spending money for meals and fancy clothes, you can try out the clothing store..

I could apply at another restaurant, but I always get rejected.

I' only 18, the drinking age is 19

They only want people who can serve alcohol :(

I'm sure I'll get called in a year, but legally they can't hire me.

Back