• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

"Proper" code for HTML textarea?

Aquatix

Does anyone have the proper ("pure" if you will) code for a textarea which allows HTML?

I figured since Iframes are SO hated that this was a suitable alternative for what I'm planning.

The only examples I've found of what I'm looking for are all from those crappy "HTML help" websites which seem to be run by teenage girls who just steal code from each others websites.

Not only were most examples totally screwed, but a few of them played havock with certain browsers, so...

If anyone has some nice clean code to do what I'm looking for, it'd be much appreciated.

:)

There is no code to display HTML code. To print something like <HTML> to the page, you are actually putting the following:

&amplt;HTML&ampgt;

Even look at the code for this page. You will see that <HTML> in my post is shown as &amplt;HTML&ampgt;

Last edited:
Even look at the code for this page. You will see that <HTML> in my post is shown as &amplt;HTML&ampgt;

WTF?! All I'm looking for is the code to display a textarea - ie: [textarea][/textarea] - but one which allows formatted HTML to be displayed inside it.

Look at the attachment if you STILL don't see what I mean. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• textarea.gif
    textarea.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 146
Well, I am assuming you are writing HTML tutorials, correct??

If so, I will show you some examples. Here is a piece of code from this very page. Here is part of my post:

PHP:
There is no code to display HTML code. To print something like &lt;HTML&gt; to the page, you are actually putting the following:<br />&amplt;HTML&ampgt;<br />
<br />
<br />
Even look at the code for this page. You will see that &lt;HTML&gt; in my post is shown as &amplt;HTML&ampgt;</font></td>

HThere is no command that shows HTML tags. Unless you devise a script that converts < to &amp;lt; and > to &amp;gt; then you will be stuck using &amp;lt; and &amp;gt;

Are you just trying to piss me off or something?!

I'm not writing any tutorials - I'm re-designing a site which previously used Iframes. Instead, I'll be using TEXTAREAS WHICH ALLOW HTML TO BE USED INSIDE THEM, as in, "A SCROLLING BOX WHICH CAN SUPPORT FORMATTING VIA HTML".

I thought that was pretty simple? I'm not stupid; I can see without even looking what code makes up these pages and I don't need telling what &lt; and &gt; are for - all I wanted was a nice piece of tidy textarea code.

Jeebus! :mad:

Goddamnit! "Textarea which allows formatted HTML to be placed within it", not "textarea with really naff background colours and specified fonts"...

I'd have been quicker just figuring it out myself and writing some fresh code to do the damn job!

OMG, you Brits I tell ya! Why dont you google it if you're not going to make yourself clear and then freak out.

The only examples I've found of what I'm looking for are all from those crappy "HTML help" websites which seem to be run by teenage girls who just steal code from each others websites.

That's what I got when I searched at Google. FFS, I posted a screenshot of what I was talking about. I didn't think it was that hard to understand!

Damn Canadians... :p

Well, can you post any examples other than that picture, because that picture looks like it has really naff background colours and specified fonts and nothing else. Any other examples may help.

<div style="height: #px; width: #px; overflow: auto">
your text, html whatever here</div>

looks like an textarea because of the overflow: auto part

;) Love,
Mirna

here's a solution: make a non-gay website and don't use iframes or textareas.

it's a 'textarea', not a 'htmlarea'. textarea's show pre-formatted plain text, all html is ignored. it only takes a bit of common sense. now make a proper site and be done with it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by keith
here's a solution: make a non-gay website and don't use iframes or textareas.

it's a 'textarea', not a 'htmlarea'. textarea's show pre-formatted plain text, all html is ignored. it only takes a bit of common sense. now make a proper site and be done with it.

What the ----? Is that my site? No. Don't you read these messages before you post? That's what I got when I searched at Google - that's someone elses crappy site with someone elses crappy textareas...

Where did I ever refer to a "htmlarea"?

And since you seem to know so much; assuming you need a small space which allows HTML to be used inside it and allowed to scroll, what do you recommend? It's like talking to damn stupid chimps sometimes. "Make a non-gay site"? What kind of stupid talk is that? LOSER.

Originally posted by Aquatix
And since you seem to know so much; assuming you need a small space which allows HTML to be used inside it and allowed to scroll, what do you recommend? It's like talking to damn stupid chimps sometimes. "Make a non-gay site"? What kind of stupid talk is that? LOSER.

1 word... Iframe

Well, if you don't like the suggestions, and If what you want is not going to work, then put on yer thinking cap anf figure something else out.

Originally posted by Aquatix
What the ----? Is that my site? No. Don't you read these messages before you post? That's what I got when I searched at Google - that's someone elses crappy site with someone elses crappy textareas...

Where did I ever refer to a "htmlarea"?

i know that's not your site, and i never said it was. i simply told you to make a non-gay site... and i never said you referred to the fictitious htmlarea. i referred to it.

you see, i made it up. it's called illustrating stupidity through absurdity. anyone who has a clue knows htmlareas don't exist. point number one.

point number two: iframes are the only thing you can use that will do what you want. get it now? that's what everyone's been trying to tell you! and here's another deep thought: if you don't like iframes, then just don't use them! huh?!?! hope i didn't blow your mind there, copernicus. your inability to understand simple fact doesn't make us the stupid chimps.

don't say anything else, you'll only make yourself look even more stupid than you already have [that and no one likes a wise-ass with a piss-poor, condescending attitude].

let me see here: you want something that acts exactly like an iframe, because you don't want to use an iframe because everyone hates them? what?!?!

so... who's the "damn stupid chimp"? :rolleyes:

iframes are the only thing you can use that will do what you want.

Look who's wrong again. The suggestion that MaGiCSuN made does exactly what I wanted but without using Iframes.

I'm not gonna argue with you. Now, pardon me whilst I get back to perfecting my condescending attitude. :rolleyes:

Back