• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Problem!!

Mellow

Hi,
I registered a domainname with this company a while ago and also used their hosting service. They turned out to be the host from hell so I left. Time went by and now I'm looking for a host and I'm thinking, okay, maybe I'll use my domainname and get a new host. Found one that I like and they tell me to change the nameservers (that's what they are called, right?) and that's it. So I return to this place where I registered the domain and everything seems to be up-side-down there. Since I know how lousy their service is I get worried, try to log in to manage my domain and get this "the page can not be displayed"-page. I look long and hard and finally find an email addy, mail them, no reply. Now it hasn't been all that long since I emailed them, but I'm concerned. I want to get my domain out of there. Just out of curiosity, what do you do if the place where you registered your domain just disappears or goes out of business or something? What does it mean to transfer a domain? Does it mean to move to another registrar? Is it free? Can I do it without having to access my account at this place where I'm at now? Sorry, long post and many questions but I need some help :) Thanks for reading.

Yes, transfering the domain can mean from one registrar to another. There generally is no cost to do this (haven't found one that does cost money), but you may have to add a year to the current registration at your new registrar (so figure around $10-$15 for this).

Can you do this without accessing the old account? Yes, you should be able to do this, but this isn't considering what email address you used, etc. If some of the contact info is not valid anymore, you'll have a tougher time (like email address that you used is dead now)

Hello Ray,
I went to those places you suggested. I checked for my domain and found an email address to the technical contact at this place, but I have already emailed him with no response. I haven't been able to find any other e-address for them. The other contacts are me. When I looked for the registrar I couldn't find them.

My registrar is http://www.digitalregistrar.com, associated with the host http://www.digitalspace.com .If you visit them and click on the links you'll find that it's very easy to pay them and to find their rules, but impossible to find an email address you can use. I just hope that me telling you about my experience will prevent someone from having to go through the same thing.

And yes, Chicken, I have changed my contact info since I registered and I can't change it in the records since I can't access my account...:( Will I ever be able to use my domainname again? What do you think?

Chicken,

It worked!!! :) I managed to get in and change all my contact info! I'm so happy!! I will remember you in my prayers, THANK YOU!! :)

No problem. You may want to transfer that domain out of the clutches of that OpenSRS registrar to another OpenSRS registrar (I believe this may require you to fax something, as it isn't really transferring the registrar, just the reseller of OpenSRS).

Chicken, I believe Opensrs wouldn't allow that, unless the domain is going to be renewed or the old RSP died.

Warning : about people hosted your website and register your domain at one of Alabanza 's host (try traceroute and you will see where your website locate) . Those hosts register your domain at bulkregister(go to internic.net whois to find who is your registrar), and if you get disappointed with them someday and want to move out ASAP. You will get a big trouble if they are not willing to modify nameservers or anything for your domain. And you can do nothing because they are monopoly (as bulkregister's policy). Any request to bulkregister is not ignore but the fact is that bulkregister cannot help.

the best way you can do is to * TRANSFER * your domain name off to other registrar before you get disappointed with these hosts.

Originally posted by Ray
Chicken, I believe Opensrs wouldn't allow that, unless the domain is going to be renewed or the old RSP died.

I believe OpenSRS actually has a policy re: this in place. Also, I thought there have been people who have conacted bulk register and somehow managed to get control of their domain out from under the clutches of an evil host? I could swear I've read this by members at this or other forums, but not quite sure.

But I'd say you may be right that it would be easier to transfer regardless.

About opensrs, changing RSP is not called *Transfer* but *renew* this means you go to another RSP and add another year to your domain.

Yes sometimes bulkregister can help . But remember that they have no spare tyre like manage.opensrs . I once felt into trouble like Mellow , bulkregister promised to help but they didn't.

Back