• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Problem with F2S.com server (can't access by "domain.com" without "www.")

Semjon

I registered a domain name and server space on www.f2s.com, but their server is configured in such a way that it is impossible to reach my website by using "domain.com", only "www.domain.com". Is there a service on the net that allows redirection from domain.com to www.domain.com? I have access to my dns records, so what I need is a redirection server to which I could map my "domain.com" address. e.g., there's a website www.subdomainservice.com/ which redirects subdomains to any url like
forum.domain.com ---> whatever. I need a similar service that is able to redirect
domain.com-->www.domain.com.

Or is there any possibility to get your own IP on the net? because with most hosts, if you register domain with webspace, you don't get your own ip, you just get some space on one of the servers. if I had my own ip, I could map domain.com A IP, and then redirect from there.

Last edited:
You say you have access to your DNS zone file, have you tried adding...

domain.com A IP

-where IP is the same IP that www.domain.com A IP

If the site is set up on the server, you should have no problems. After you do this (wait 24-48 hours), if it still doesn't work, ask your host to make sure the domain is accessible via the 'www'.

that's exactly the point. if I use the same CNAME for domain.com as for www.domain.com, it doesn't work. my host's server forwards visitors to my account only if they use www.domain.com, not domain.com without www. that's a restriction on their server. therefore I need some service that will redirect domain.com to www.domain.com.

I think I found one, it's http://www.forwardingweb.com , I just updated my dns, setting domain.com -> their ip address, but have to wait till tomorrow, since dns is updated only at 9.30 am GMT. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive to get the ad free version. but I think I can break out of their ad frame using javascript...

It sounds crazy that you have to resort to such "antics" while using a paid host.

Originally posted by Semjon
that's exactly the point. if I use the same CNAME for domain.com as for www.domain.com, it doesn't work. my host's server forwards visitors to my account only if they use www.domain.com, not domain.com without www. that's a restriction on their server. therefore I need some service that will redirect domain.com to www.domain.com.

#1 CNAME has nothign to do with this, you shouldn't be using it in this instance (you should be using an A RECORD for both). Whether that's the problem is another thing. I'm not sure you have full DNS control, as it doesn't sound like it completely. If you do, I'm not convinced you are setting things up correctly.

Can you post the domain's zone file so we can take a look and see if anything is off?

Back