• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

"Private" nameservers are a good thing

CareBear

NLC
NLC
This might be something everyone knows about already, but I just noticed this and thought I'd share. :)

I always used godaddy's "private" nameserver registering option to have ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for my domains, instead of ns1.myhost.com and ns2.myhost.com

Apparantly, one of the (more significant as it turns out) benefits of doing it this way is that when switching a domain over from one server to another (or from one host to another for that matter), you don't have to deal with a 24-48 hour period of not knowing whether your domain will resolve to the old or new IP.

You still have to deal with your (or your visitor's) ISP's cached DNS lookup, but depending on your host that expires within an hour, which is a still a big improvement over the 24-48 hours it would normally take.
Anyone that didn't visit your domain within the few hours before the change would just get the new IP when they do.

Last edited:
Hmm...so all you have to do is change the IP's for the domain? Doe's this work on namecheap too? I think I can set up NS servers for free with it..

Regards,

Back