• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please rate my first attempt on a site.

Well, 15 is legal here so I can visit the site and you better not if it's a crime in Argenitina. Oki?

I think it is but is difficult to enforce... I have visited the site only once... anyways it doesn't appeal to me because of my own sexuality, so I wouldn't have any reason to visit it anymore.

It doesn't appeal to me sexually either. So what? I believe the guy asked for a review, not our sexual preferences.

Hey, Meow... I was just saying. The site was good for a beginner as I originally stated, but the legality is questionable in some areas.

Do you
A) know what country the webmaster is in and the laws of that country regarding this?
B) The laws of Ireland where I think 9cy's server is?

Furthermore, there isn't even a nude picture there.

Despite the fact that they are non-nude, some conservative countries like Spain, Italy (especially, the Carberineri track this sort of stuff), and Argentina are harsh against it.

In the Uk you would have to be over 18 but if you are it would be legal. As meow said lets not discuss sexual preferences, the person is asking for a site review. If the site contained any content inappropriate for the viewers of freewebspace.net I'm sure a moderator would have locked or deleted this thread.

My main point would be the fact that the pictures are not his/in the public domain. Other than that I think it's an okay site design wise, but I wouldn't visit it because the layout is a little un-professional.

However, for a first web page it's great.

Sure, no problem. Here is a couple of recommendations:

- Create a real header for your pages, using Paint Shop or something similar.

- Make the thumbs more uniform in size if possible. When things are even the site looks sharper.

- Different background? Just a pattern instead of a huge picture would look nice.

- Most importantly, for me, don't use the JavaScript to open up new windows. It won't work in my browser of choice and that means it won't work in others. Just use standard thumbnail linking.

BTW, I'm running K-Meleon which is basically Mozilla without all the extras.

Good site though, even though it could be a tad bit better. Great for a first time.

Hey hey hey! I use K-Mel too (part of the time). Like it couldn't handle pop-ups - tsss! :p

psymaster, you shouldn't use javascript URLs (href="javascript..."). They are evil and provide no back up if javascript isn't available.

Now the links look like this:
<A HREF="javascript:pic('075.jpg')" BORDER=0>

You are much better off writing them like this:
<a href="075.jpg" onclick="Pic('075.jpg'); return false;">

If javascript is available it will work exactly as it does now. If not, the link will open as an ordinary link. Cool huh? :)

Read this if you want a more thorough and a lot more educated explanation. :p

Links & JavaScript Living Together in Harmony :
http://evolt.org/article/thelist/17/20938/

I agree. Making your site accessible to everyone is key. With a good site you should only leave out Lynx, since that would kind of ruin the whole concept of your site (Lynx users wouldn't go there anyway).

Javascript and the fancy tags suck, just like frames. I used to have the opposite mentality, but I recently "saw the light" when it comes down to it. Because the web is about sharing information, not just cool looking designs without content.

Keep up the site, using Meow's fancy HREF/JAVA trick and business will pick up.

I used to have a banner, which I created with irfanview, but I got rid of it. And I only have 56k connection, so I will look for paint shop pro on a cd if I can find it.

About the javascript links now. When I had my site at geocities, the stats said that 99.5% of the visitors (about 5,000 of them in total) had javascript enabled, so I made it this way... But anyway, I 'll try what you said.

Are there any other good programs to create graphics apart from paint shop?

BigTom - how do you go about leaving Lynx out? What doesn't Lynx handle? :confused:

psymaster - your stats would show that if one can't get around without javascript. But even if there really are just a few without js, why is that a reason to do it in an old and dumb way when there is a correct and better way?

But what would he have to optomize for that? Since most people that use Lynx use it for a reason (shell account, blind) that allows them to only use text, I doubt they'd got to a picture oriented site. He wouldn't have to change anything anyways, as far as I can see.

Off-Topic: BTW, can anyone give me some hints on running Linux. I'm thinking of getting an old junker computer for about 50-100 bucks (low grade pentium, small hard drive) to just browse the net and run some small apps. PM me or e-mail me at tlpjunior@msn.com

Thanks

Back