• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

please help me make my site appealing

ian

hi all,

i used wordpress to get my site www.iansandsphotography.com going. i like many aspecst of it including the organization control. but i think it's lacking a bit. i love taking photos and would love a slick yet easy to update site that's interactive for visitors but simple and keeps them coming back. I hope to slowly but surely sell my photos by building hopefully a handful of sattisfied customers.

i appreciate any and all suggestions.

thank you so much.

ian

You can easily make a nice looking website that is wordpress based. Take a look at my website in my signature, that is all wordpress, sans the forum which is phpbb3. All I did was edit the default wordpress template, twenty eleven I believe, with my layout.

Also if you use this code:
Code:
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:comments href="<?php echo esc_url( get_permalink() ); ?>" num_posts="10" width="615"></fb:comments>
the comment that is posted on facebook will link to that page, instead of the homepage of the site.

Also if you are looking for a site overhaul, there are several photography themed free templates you can use, then easily integrate into wordpress.

Last edited:
I am not sure if twenty ten has the same templates as twenty eleven (the one I use), but I placed that code in the "Single Post (single.php)" underneath the end of the code, I believe is this:
Code:
<?php endwhile; // end of the loop. ?>

The echo url jazz will change for every post you make, as it uses the permalink instead of the main site address. I have tested this out several times before making the pages live, so I know it works :)

You menu is looking a bit weird to me, I have added a screenshot.
I am running on Internet Explorer.

5b9oi8w36adn.png

you mean where the "woodsy" category goes to the second line? that's because the top ran out of room.

i'm thinking about scrapping the whole site and starting fresh, what do you think?

you mean where the "woodsy" category goes to the second line? that's because the top ran out of room.

i'm thinking about scrapping the whole site and starting fresh, what do you think?
Honestly, you probably should. I never liked the default templates for wordpress.

Again it's easy enough to incorporate a free template (if you are not experienced with website creation). That way if you can get a left side menu, you can toss as many links in as you wish. I have another wordpress based layout, this one for my Nobunaga's Ambition website I am creating: http://dragonthrone.namepad.net/ This one will not use any of the posting features, just creating pages which the left menu will hold. The games links expand when you click the game itself, showing subcategories.

i want a simple clean look. i was wondering if there would be a way to kinda sync my facebook photography page with my web-site page? i want a simple way to update my photos and keep them organized without making the site bulky. WordPress is cool, I'm guessing I should stick with that. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Back