• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

php or perl?

You're from HK? Cool... :)
Don't bother with ASP. Stick with PHP or Perl.
You *sure* they don't have any books on PHP in your bookstores??

Yep, HK... how about you?

geez... i'll stick to php :) i'll try finding the books in some "computer" places, maybe the books would be cheaper there...

well i haven't searched in all the bookshops, i think that bookshop has some problem...

do i have to buy another book for mysql? i've learnt in the tutorials online about php... haha all i know now is that you can check what browser version the user is using,etc.. and insert some external files... hm... but i don't quite understand databases...

anyway... php is fun... and not as complicated :)... geez i want to get the book right away

Good luck..... and have fun. :)

btw, what's your site about anyways? recipies for Chinese food??

i hope i'd have fun :)

my site? oh that was a thinkquest site last year... yes, about chinese food... :) my personal page is... deleted 2 years ago ;)

-----
is xml related to php? i see them together sometimes :) hm...

ASP - PHP

XML stands for Extensive Markup Language, it is like the next generation of HTML but I haven't looked into it much yet. Php is a server-side scripting language like ASP.
(that might not explain anything but I do have a helpful link at http://www.webmonkey.org )

ASP is written with many different languages, the two most used is VBScript and JScript(which is exactly like javascript) but most of the examples you'd find online are written in VBS. And I think that's a major turndown in my opinion- I want "}" and ";" ya know! - they make the code looks clearer

Also PHP is free in the case you would want to install it on your home computer.

Hope thay answers your question Laine!

[Edited by dn52002 on 01-25-2001 at 03:36 PM]

thanks a million ;)

Visual basic... our school teaches that but i don't see the usage yet...

i'd better go find more about xml

so that means asp isn't free to install on your own server while php is?

blah blah blah

well you can install php on an apache server, kinda tricky and you have to know your unix command. I know that php can be installed on windows too but I didn't try. but right now what you want to do is to find a web hosting company(preferably free) that support php and if you are lucky, mysql(database). Then you wouldn't need to actually install php on your home computer, you can just upload your file and test your code online. I have a few suggestion for web hoster but I am not sure if it is legal for me to post it here, but contact me on icq if you would like to know who they are!

ASP runs on M$ Server like Windows 2000/NT/IIS. It is expensive to set up a server(unix or M$) because you need a big chunk of cash to buy a static IP. Right now, you don't have to worry about installing ANYTHING. Just focus on learning the language whichever you choose :)

XML: Anyone knows any good use for it? I looked it up, wasn't impressed. Oh well, I wasn't impressed with PHP at first either :)

[Edited by dn52002 on 01-27-2001 at 05:01 AM]

Okay, I shouldn't have laughed when you said that you couldn't find any books on PHP at your local bookstore... I went to a few bookstores here, and I was most surprised when I couldn't find any books on PHP either. There were ASP, Flash 5, Windows2k, Visual Basic... etc. books, but I couldn't find PHP books! Weird... my guess is that it's starting to get real popular on the web, but the book guys just haven't noticed and written anything yet. Who knows?

*grins*

Well yeah i wonder why there are so few books. Geez i still haven't bought the book! I'm going to have a look in computer centers later on... you know in our bookstores Chinese computer books costs way lower than english books...

Thanks for telling me about the server stuff ;)

Thanks

yup, you can test run scripts on your comp once you get something like Apache installed and configured it to be able to run perl or php, both free I believe. You can see your own pages at http://localhost/ after you've installed it and stuff.

maybe you can order a book off the internet, but that'll be pretty expensive. Is there any computer-specific stores in your area? If you haven't already checked there, go look, maybe there will be a book or two hidden somewhere. :)

Yep i am going to the bookstore near my school to see if there is. if yes i'm going to buy it---not going to wait anymore... :)

i have finally found php books in another bookstore
but they are very expensive and it seems that there are tutorials online which is similar to the ones in the book

..... so....
i'm still thinking whether i should buy one.. geeeeeeez

*lol* when's your birthday? If it's sometime soon, ask your parents or friends to give you the book as a present. :p j/k.....

Back