• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

php or perl?

laine

hi i'm pretty new to programming, could anyone advice what programming language i should go and learn? PHP or perl or anything else?

Thanks a lot :)

perl is a lot more common, but php isn't bad either.

If you are hosting your site with a fwp, then you might want to decide which language to learn from what features the fwp you choose offers. Some offer CGI but no PHP, others vice versa. Some offer both.

[Edited by LeX on 01-21-2001 at 02:29 AM]

If your host has php support I would go with it all the way. It's faster, easier to learn, and uses less CPU.

PHP in my opinion.. its
1. easy for a beginner to learn
2. flexible
3. faster than perl
4. i like it :)

f2s i think supports PHP .. if you're looking for a free host... most commercial hosts support both...

Thanks a lot guys... I think i'll first learn php then :) So are there any online tutorials to learn from? or do i have to get a book? ya know books are pretty expensive

and about the server... i forgot whether digitalrice supports php.. i think it does ;) anyways...

how long does it take you to learn php? haha....

HAHAHA... sorry for asking such a stupid question... :)

anyways thanks a lot...
so i can just get online tutorials so that means i don't have to buy a book right?

Tutorials are just... tutorials. If you really want to LEARN the thing, I recommend you go and buy a book. They give more detailed descriptions in books than online tutorials or manuals - IMO lah..! :)

See, a lot of tutorials expect you to have some basic knowledge of whatever you're looking up, and then they give examples and tell a bit about it, but books go way deeper.

This may give a better example. Take any game for instance. All you gotta do is experiment around with it and look at the user's guide usually included in the box, and you basically know how to play. It's not that hard at all. But did you ever seen one of those strategy books they have for the game? They're THICK!!! Now, tutorials are kinda like the walkthroughs, they tell you what to do, but they don't go into details, whereas the stragety book gives you tips and hints and tells you where everything is. Get the idea?

Conclusion: Get a book. :)

:) i totally agree with you....

oh by the way
how do i install this php thing on my computer? something to do with apache server which i have noooooo idea....

i've heard you can install something on your computer so you don't have to test your scripts online.

thanks again :p

Sorry, you'll get no help from me here, I'm as clueless as you are!

If there's a way, I'd like to know too. :)

hmmm
so which book do ya recommend for php? i looked in the other thread under this forum and somebody said
prof. php? or...there's this beginning php4

Hmm...
:)

One thing about php and perl speed. Can someone give me a reason why php is faster than perl, proof? I hear this all the time (said especially by php users). But never noticed any difference, who says they're not same as fast?

PHP runs as an apache module. Unless you're running mod_perl and your scripts setup to use it -- the external perl interpreter and perl need to be fired up each time (which takes time).

mjk@atlascgi.com

Ah- pretty complicated. today i went down to the bookstore and i couldn't find any books about php.. i was pretty shocked i thought it was pretty popular eh... and the books down in the library are all borrowed :(

:) how about ASP, active server pages? is it similar to php? and my friend was talking about XML...
haha all those names....

Originally posted by laine
Ah- pretty complicated. today i went down to the bookstore and i couldn't find any books about php.. i was pretty shocked i thought it was pretty popular eh... and the books down in the library are all borrowed :(

:) how about ASP, active server pages? is it similar to php? and my friend was talking about XML...
haha all those names....

What kind of bookstore did you go to?
hope not antique :D

i agree but it shouldn't be ancient... it's Page One its like this HUGE bookstore in hongkong which you can find lots of new books, esp from overseas.... i doubt why there isn't anything about PHP!!!! :)

mysql is pretty complicated... but that seems to go with php for databases right? arggggggg......

Back