• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Photoshop and Fireworks, are they worth?

Jun Luzon

Fine Traders
NLC
Recently we are thinking of delving deeper into web developing and web design, me and some members in our group. We are about to invest in purchasing Adobe products, namely Photoshop and Fireworks.

If you have purchased any of this software before, do you think it's worth it? Have you used it too often that you think its expensive price is reasonable? Or shall I remain using GIMP and the other alternatives instead?

Your personal experience or outlook. :welcome:

i would recommed just getting the redone macromedia suite. its great for web design. photoshop is only beneficial if you are doing a lot of print work.

Recently we are thinking of delving deeper into web developing and web design, me and some members in our group. We are about to invest in purchasing Adobe products, namely Photoshop and Fireworks.

If you have purchased any of this software before, do you think it's worth it? Have you used it too often that you think its expensive price is reasonable? Or shall I remain using GIMP and the other alternatives instead?

Your personal experience or outlook. :welcome:

Photoshop is worhty !

Honestly, I use Paint.NET. Before that, I was a big fan of Paint Shop Pro. I could never master all the tools Photoshop had, and I don't think majority of users can. If that is the case, then use a cheap, or free alternative and save yourself some cash. If later down the line it looks like you will need some features that only Photoshop can provide, then get it then.

I can't really comment on Fireworks, I have never used it.

I love Paint Shop Pro :p

Trying to learn illustrator, but can't really kick it off you know.

Yeah, if you're getting started something like Paint.net or PSP or what was it, GIMP is good. No one uses half the features in PS anyway

I find Photoshop great! Mind you, i've never used anything else, but I have used Fireworks and I use Dreamweaver.

photoshop is only beneficial if you are doing a lot of print work.

I'd disagree here. I'm a web designer and graphic artist. I spend 8+ hours a day in photoshop. You can do print work, photo retouching, etc. but I wouldn't say "print work" was the only beneficial reason to use it. Most print work should be completed in vector format anyway, which is where a program like illustrator comes in.

If you have purchased any of this software before, do you think it's worth it?

To answer the main question of this thread. If you are a professional, you should consider photoshop. It is well worth the money IF you are putting it to good use.

But, at the same time, the learning curve is steep and it only gives back what you put into it. Just having it on your computer is not going to make a difference unless you plan to "really" learn how to use it. Otherwise, just stick to the free or lower cost products.

Calling an adobe rep and telling them exactly what your company or group is planning on doing with their software will allow you to discuss the advantages over one group software vs. another. For example the fireworks cs3 works great alongside photoshop and flash. It's all about what you need and what you plan to accomplish.

photoshop is GREAT. I have just got the new version of Photoshop CS3, and it is amazing. can do more that just print now days. I have been using it since Photoshop 3, and it has come a long way. BTW, CS3 is version 10. and fireworks, what do you want it for? vector images? if so, just go with Illustrator. only thing fireworks was ever useful for IMO was image mapping, but, if you are good enough designer, then you dont need to use fireworks.

as for Colin trying to learn Illustrator, look at some tuts, and just keep messing with it. it is a little different than Photoshop, and a little more difficult, but, it is great. keep plugging away, and you will get it.

so, good luck.

Photoshop is wonderfull i used to spend alot of time on it learning and developing my gfx skills. Takes some getting used to if you are new to these kinds of software. Really worth it if you are going to put it to use.

I would say that Photoshop is worth it.

I just find Photoshop a wonderful software overall.

Fireworks is really just a less complex and feature riched application. Its good for starters I guess, but Photoshop can offer so much more, I use PS for just about everything I do, from websites to desktop publishing. In the end, Photoshop, in my opinion, is a much better investment and you are always learning new things with it.

As for those who said things about mastering it, there are very few who know EVERYTHING about Photoshop. It really isn't necessary to know everything, you will eventually learn new things when you stumble upon a diffucult task (tutorials are great - pixel2life.com) and you may even pick up new things just playing around.

-Pat

And I have used paintshop pro too, that seems slightly better than fireworks.
Really? Can't say I can agree with that. When I first started out I used PSP quite a lot. Once they reached version8, it turned into something that didn't work right (IMO), and then Corel stepped in. They lost focus, I lost interest.

Fireworks is a really good vector design tool that also has decent slicing tools for when you're done. PSP's vector tools were awful in comparison, I feel. For web design, FW is a good program to have. It lacks some of the fancier tools that Photoshop has, but is far better at vectors.
Both are valuable for designing and implementing those designs.

Haven't use PSP but I use Fireworks and Photoshop in this order. And it seems like Fireworks is more faster than that Photoshop.
And is more easier to edit..

the better programs are typically harder to learn and use, but, they are better. so, therefore, photoshop is better than fireworks, but, i can only say that in certain instances. fireworks is great if you are trying to make image maps and stuff like that, and illustrator is better for nice clean vector images, and IMO stronger than fireworks, but, you can do more manipulation in photoshop. so, it really comes down to what are you willing to learn, and are you smart enough to learn the harder programs and become well rounded.

I work illustrations as well as elements for web design so I kinda have a need for photoshop, PSP is not as good as it used to be and fireworks.... well... can't seem to get adjusted to it...

Back