• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

pay for exactly what you use

Sounds cool

Sounds kinda cool.

I can understand why web-hosts need to limit traffic, disk space, and cpu time, but why place a limit on the number of email accounts, subdomains and all that other fun stuff.

We just came out with the exact same thing, but it seems on a more sophisticated level. Anyway, charging for individual resources allows you to have an overall lower price on things, yet still make money. We got bills to pay too you know ;)

Compare to basic cable, versus basic cable plus premium channels...umm, bad point, but you get the idea. Ok, with a new car, the radio is still priced on the invoice, why is it not free? It's just one of those things that irk you I guess..LOL

Well any system has it's limits. If everyone utilized 100% of their subdomains, email accounts etc things would start slowing down.

Robert

i agree with myacen. lets say this web host charges you 1 buck a month with unlimited pop account, and if the client gives free pop email account to his visitors, imagine what will it do to the web host. same as sub domain, mysql , etc .. this thing consume resources that why it must be limited :)

Last edited:
You pay according to what you use. So you can't have anything unlimited because you will not have unlimited money to pay for it.
Don't forget they they charge not only according to space and transfer, but according to CPU usage us well.

If people use a lot of resources (that would slow down a system), then this automatically means that the host makes a lot of money.(and this is what the host wants them to do !! ) This way they can have more profits and buy more servers.
Think about it .. i think it makes sense.

Their prices are fairly low. And if you only place 5$ on your PayPal account, they can't charge more!

Originally posted by gyrbo
Their prices are fairly low. And if you only place 5$ on your PayPal account, they can't charge more!

Yes, the can't, but if your funds run out so does your website. You have to keep adding funds if you want your site to be up and running.

Re: Sounds cool

Originally posted by Dave114
Sounds kinda cool.

I can understand why web-hosts need to limit traffic, disk space, and cpu time, but why place a limit on the number of email accounts, subdomains and all that other fun stuff.

Just to let you know I was replying to this thread ;)

Robert

Originally posted by gyrbo

So you can get it for free, because when you signup to paypal they give you $5.

Robert

Originally posted by Myacen Network

So you can get it for free, because when you signup to paypal they give you $5.

Robert

Thats what i thought too but according to what i got from paypal:

"To receive the $5 New Account Bonus, U.S. members must verify their account, add $250 by electronic funds transfer, and sign up for our Money Market Reserve Fund to start earning a return on their money."

I don't want to add $250 ...

Or is there any other way to get that $5 ? If there is pleace tell me :)

Originally posted by Myacen Network

Well any system has it's limits. If everyone utilized 100% of their subdomains, email accounts etc things would start slowing down.

True.... but using those resources takes up such things as cpu time, bandwidth, and diskspace.

Read the FAQ. They charge for such things as the cpu usage on their systems when you do such things as poll the system for mail.

It sounds like a nice deal for personal websites and lesser visited places on the web. Great for a starter, but I wouldn't use it for business honestly, as the charges really would go up beyond the cost of a normal host...but I don't see any harm with someone starting out there to get their feet wet, and moving elsewhere when they outgrow that. :)

James

Let's say you use 2gigs of BW, and 100MB of space+ 2 minutes CPU (don't use that much". That would cost $6.1/mo. Not much much I think.

The deal is good for all sites, but is better for small ones. If you have a small site that uses 5MB and 200MB of transfer and you don't use a lot of cgi and php its gona be way cheaper than all hosts I know.

Now if you use 200MB of space and 10GB of transfer, probably you can find a better deal elsewhere. This is because most hosts play the "averages" game. So when they give you a plan with 10GB transfer, they hope that you will use less than that, and thats why they charge you less. Also those hosts will not charge you for CPU usages, so its good if you have a lot of scripts. (although they will probably kick you out if you use too much of the CPU time).

For small sites using less than 2GB pay for what you get is a good idea, but for larger sites, its sucks because bandwidth is usually cheaper when bought in bulk.

Hi Theo,

"Thats what i thought too but according to what i got from paypal:

"To receive the $5 New Account Bonus, U.S. members must verify their account, add $250 by electronic funds transfer, and sign up for our Money Market Reserve Fund to start earning a return on their money."

I don't want to add $250 ...

Or is there any other way to get that $5 ? If there is pleace tell me "

The above information is the criteria for domestic sign up bonuses. This is the only way to earn the bonus.

In addition, the international referral/sign-up bonus just launched.

The Int'l sign up bonus requirements are:
1. Cofirm email address & credit card
2. send a payment of $100 or more.

i still remember when i dont have to transfer fund to get the $5 , all i do was to verify the amount they send to my account and that's it. This must be their new policy.

Back