• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Partitions

saikosys

I have a 80 gig HD and I want to split it into partitions... what is the best configuration?? I have now:

1. Windows Part. : 2 gig
2. Swap part. : 2 gig
3. 20 gig
3. 20 gig
4. 36 gig

Is this good or are the partitions too big? what do you think? is the windows partition too small?

Actually, I think you got too many partitions. Partitions slow down your harddrive considerably.

1-3 partitions is optimal.

It really depends on what you use your system for....?

Since you have so much space, why not create some linux partitions and have a go at the latest Mandrake or Red Hat Linux, both have come a long way and are now usable desktops.*

* Having said that i still run win2k inside Vmware under Linux as i still find a use for Dreamweaver. ;-)

** And i do still have a win2k partition for playing bf1942. ;-)

Peter

What os you using?

the most you can have is 4 partions, I do believe.

What would make more since would be,

30GB Windows
500MB Swap File, * this will depend on the size of you RAM, it should be 2x the size of your RAM, I do believe. Can't be bothered to check.

and the rest for what ever you would want.

Windows partition should be at least 10Gb.

If you have only one HDD, DON'T MAKE a swap partition, instead you should just put the swap in C:\, and make it fixed in size so that it will not become fragmented. Making a swap partition if you only have 1 HDD will only slows things down.

The rest of the space should be consolidated into a big --- single partition.

Note: Less partition = good!

<< 80gig Hard Drive - 7200RPM Seagate

C: WinXP (6gig)
D: Programs (20gig)
E: School Work (10gig)
F: My Crap (10gig)
G: Mp3s (30gig)

512mb of ddr ram and my system runs just fine.

Originally posted by Robert
<< 80gig Hard Drive - 7200RPM Seagate

C: WinXP (6gig)
D: Programs (20gig)
E: School Work (10gig)
F: My Crap (10gig)
G: Mp3s (30gig)

512mb of ddr ram and my system runs just fine.

Only 76gb?

Back