• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Paid Offer Status Updates

TaoPhoenix

NLC
Hello everyone!

As a cousin project to my free host monitoring, I decided to do some simple lists to see the status of ads vs host viability. For me, most important is the paid host side, because of the exponentially greater security and fiduciary responsibilities. Free hosts come and go, and will contain many hobby projects. However, once a host decides to charge money, they implicitly are tapping the force of law for client responsibility.

But what of the hosts' responsibility to the clients!? I will stay bird's eye on my aspect. I have no particular interest in mapping which price points proved risky, or servers/services offered.

If I may be permitted a small joke, since we appear not to have any mnemonic savants with us at the moment, all my list does is recap the ads posted and then click the link to see if the company in fact still exists. I know that some owners have done proper shutdown procedures. I also know many have not, and payment details of those clients are likely floating in the shadow zone, posing a percentage risk. No particular data piece is guaranteed to cause problems; cumulatively, this unsecured data leads eventually to identity theft.

Data Format

I previewed a test sample and even my small list looked rather ugly when pasted raw.

So for now, I will post the text files to one of my spread hosts.

These pages are Creative Commons BY-SA which means please mention me when borrowing them wholesale, and resulting efforts that folks remix will also become usable downstream. My intent is that commercial use is allowed as after all these are Paid hosts involved. To my understanding an Ad is a public offer of information when must reasonably be expected to be studied by business communities.

Edit: These are text files for ease of use. They look okay for me in Notepad, but browser default fonts appear to do funny things to the spacing.

Last edited:
Paid Ads July 5-7

At this time unless I either get some research assitance or other folks chose to join in, these examples should be considered like a poll of average data rather than exhaustive. There appear to be some 3-12 offers posted per day, so I will not be able to keep up in realtime.

http://taophoenix.deckerservices.com/FWS-PaidHostOffers-July5-2010.txt

http://taophoenix.deckerservices.com/FWS-PaidHostOffers-July6-2010.txt

http://taophoenix.deckerservices.com/FWS-PaidHostOffers-July7-2010.txt

So essentially (in a nutshell) what you're doing is reviewing the paid hosting offers that were made here one year ago and then documenting their current status to see how many of them are still around one year later.

So are you trying to find the host that advertised here and see if the company is still in business? or that the add still works or pricing? I am confused.

So are you trying to find the host that advertised here and see if the company is still in business? ...

Yes, exactly. I am less concerned with pricing, as that is just repositioning - I do not expect ad specials to remain forever. All I have been doing is a very top level check to see of the entire company is around. Briefly, this is the Paid side of "Go Paid", so these guys ought to be better than the free hosts right? So the hosts that didn't survive a year & change would have been risks in many senses of the word. See my editorials elsewhere on client data risks vs type of service.

If they are still here as of this snapshot review, then they automatically are therefore more likely to be around at least a little while, with a couple of flukes.

Tao is there a site with all this data publicly or to the hosts accessible or do you keep it to yourself and 'share' what you think is relevant?

I'm getting confused as to what's happening with this collection of information that is solely under your auspicious momentum (you seem to like those types of phrases so I thought I'd throw one in for you).

I doubt I'm the only one that thinks your not a Google algorithm level review and would love to know what your doing with the 'numbers' - not a host but I used to be and call it instinct but I wouldn't be happy about the situation your placing hosts in without a full disclosure of data, couple of text lines doesn't cut it on a web page report.

You said
The net Likes data
in fact it loves it, so where the hell is it!

Not having a go mate but seriously get some openness involved :)

this could easily be done from him agreeing to what i asked this should be able to be done pretty easily if the mods will provide last years data in an xml dump of the offers forum.

I'm going to avoid laughing at that as it would involve wetting my underwear.

Do you think Tao or the mods have that - or that you would get it!!!

Yes they could, and as you should be aware breach everyone's - oh fill in the blanks.

it would not be a breach of privacy to give the posts in the offers section as they are of public record. To provide us with any information regarding there account woudl be a violation.

who are "us" and the integrity of FWS would be compromised by passing on any information to a third party.

Plus just as an aside, how do you propose stripping ALL personal data from those posts?

Like e-mail addresses posted by respondents in public posts, and just to be clear it is not public domain info to be reused (quite the opposite) it is property of FWS basically once posted.

If I thought any DB info was handed out from FWS I'd go ballistic as it would be without my or anyone else's permission.

Want the court case in your name?

sure sue me why not, Not like your gonna get anything. You can have all my debt!!!! lol!!!

If we the company name out and that is the only thing we used why would that upset you?

We would not post any data other than company name and the date the offer was made.

Back