• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

overselling

no he said 30 accounts per server that is different. and jcarney maybe wanna look at your grammer in your signature it should be "industry" leading!

Ha ha your right I'll fix that. I never realize the tiny mistakes I always seem to make. But yes I am aware he said "Server" but I was just saying 30 account per server would be a loss so I moved to assume he meant accounts. But who knows he might really only do 30 accounts per server. How he would manage the payout vs bills I don't know.

Ha ha your right I'll fix that. I never realize the tiny mistakes I always seem to make. But yes I am aware he said "Server" but I was just saying 30 account per server would be a loss so I moved to assume he meant accounts. But who knows he might really only do 30 accounts per server. How he would manage the payout vs bills I don't know.

read what I posted and you will see its impossible :p

It's doable, but why bother?

If you're only hosting 30 accounts, you don't really need an elaborate server. Heck, you might even be able to put them on an Atom server.

The problem is:

1) Nobody wants to be hosted on old servers
2) The profit levels for each server are going to be minimal. Makes far more sense to just buy a good server and put more accounts on it.

My rule of thumb don't put more than 400 accounts on 1 server. That way even if you have a faster server that could handle 1k accounts plus if that server was to fail that would be more accounts to migrate lol. But yes 30 is doable like you said. But why? Who knows =)

Perhaps Cheap-Host-in is using a $1 VPS like the kind which offered by the dead provider hostrail kind, and running the hosting business without any control panel?
LOL

I think it is a bit ok if you oversell with a few small servers. Most providers offer a server at small specs with a burstable limit. Customers go into the agreement knowing this because with burstable you are not guaranteed the burstable amount, but you get the added benefit of utilizing all available resources if the node you are hosted on is not at max capacity.

Provided its managed well, then I would suggest that overselling isn't a bad thing.

Having the right checks and balances in place for overselling is an imperative, especially if you're serious about overselling/oversubscribing.

Overselling is a valid business model and in the hosting industry everyone oversells to some degree. Overselling is only bad when it causes you to loose more customers then you gain (taking into account advertising spending).

Overselling is a valid business model and in the hosting industry everyone oversells to some degree. Overselling is only bad when it causes you to loose more customers then you gain (taking into account advertising spending).

I still say its the being dishonest. Its like buying gas... The gas station says they are gonna give you 10 gallons but they say that to 20 people and only have 100 gallons... Well you go to use your full 10 gallons and they cut you off at 8 saying your in violation of there policies.

Speak for yourself on everyone overselling, because all three of my servers are in fact quite undersold with plenty of resources to spare at all times. How are your clients, or even other hosts going to trust you when you are lying to them about what you are capable of, and how other people might be running their business.

I don't believe in overselling, in fact I don't even sell the full capacity of my resources- I show about 70% of my most populated server's resources as having been assigned, and I'm considering not putting any more clients on it because I'm satisfied with it's load and it looks good with the bottom line.

By my reckoning, if your server isn't hitting breakeven by the time 60% or so of it's resources are assigned, you should probably reconsider your plan sizes and prices.

Last edited:
Back