• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Outgrowing shared plans and looking for VPS

Somnus

I am currently hosting about 14 domains at Dreamhost and while pretty good, I will be requiring to host about 20 more in the very near future.

So I am looking for a VPS, managed, and my budget is roughly $30-50/month.

What are some good companies that I should be looking to choose between?

I have read the forum here pretty thoroughly, so I am looking for recommendations on who to sign up with

Because theres a difference between recommendations and people begging for your business like a bunch of dogs begging for table scraps.

Just remember to verify uptime, and if they say they offer 24/7 support, try contacting them late at night and see how long it takes to get a response.

If you want a VPS thats always up and has fairly good support, try steadcom.com..
I used them for about 12 months didnt have to many issues

What amount of ram should I be looking for?

10 gb disk space is plenty, and the bandwidth requirements are not huge by any means. 50-80 gb monthly should handle everything.

Depends on what kind of control panel you want to have on the VPS. If you use a free control panel like LxAdmin, you'll probably only need 128MB or 256MB RAM.

50$ should get you a fair chunk with steadcom, If I was you I would wait till they have deals come out..
Or contact them direct and see what type of custom plan they could do..

I would suggest 512mbs ram for any VPS..

Last edited:
As you will have 14 domains on the machine it will be better to have 256 with 512 burstable or 512 dedicated with 768 or more burstable. Just to have more stability for the VPS. At least having more ram will give you more resources to run a panel to managed the websites.

Good Luck!

50$ should get you a fair chunk with steadcom, If I was you I would wait till they have deals come out..
Or contact them direct and see what type of custom plan they could do..

I would suggest 512mbs ram for any VPS..

SteadCom is offering double bandwidth in their specials. Cheaper than normal and double bandwidth. It's a really good package:

http://steadcom.com/specialpkgs

The Business package ($55) is the 512MB package.

I think that depending on your web sites of course you need you might be happy with reseller account. So do not forget about that option as well. That might be good deal for you while you have some of your web sites managed by other ppl.

hi!
I must agree. I made the comment a days ago it was almost impossible to start a business with a reseller account. I must admit...it just might be possible with the correct partner.

Notice that a partner is much different than just another host selling a reseller account on one server somewhere.

Again...look at the latency issue with a vps...any vps..vs a dedi. I've seen the numbers..and there is no comparison.

As always, though..feel free to ignore my advice.

Bryon

Last edited:
Again...look at the latency issue with a vps...any vps..vs a dedi. I've seen the numbers..and there is no comparison.

Bryon

What do you mean latency issue? There is no difference in latency between a VPS or a dedicated (with us at least).

Back