• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Optimal Sever Specs

Nick

NLC
Even though I haven't been active at it for years, my job found out that I once knew a thing or two about web development. I glanced over some tutorials to refresh my memory and wrote a couple database driven applications for the outdated business intranet that automated some daily tasks and now I'm being asked to work on these kind of projects as my primary function.

I spent the last month or so getting up to speed on fully embracing OOP practices, what new (to me) things are available, and becoming inspired to work on a few personal projects. So now I'm in need of a home server that allows me to work on various projects since there are a mixture of server types, language options, and software packages deployed at my job combined with my personal preferences.

I'm looking for affordability, low power consumption, preferably fan-less, and capable of supporting everything I need -- which is a little more than a basic LAMP setup.

Here's my list of features I need:

- Mandatory Web Stuff: Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, Redis, ColdFusion, Ruby on Rails
- Mandatory Math Stuff: GNU Octave with web interface, Python w/ full SciPy stack, R if I can find a suitable web front end version
- Databases I'd like to install and try: PostgreSQL, MariaDB, MongoDB, CouchDB

Here's what I'll be using it for:

- Developmental testing of some work and a handful of personal projects.
- Home intranet with some basic applications for me and my family to stay organized.
- Doing some light scientific stuff at home. No enormous data sets, mostly just proof of concept type things and personal projects.
- I've built a few data collection devices based on open source micro-controllers, which I would like to deploy full time. So they would connect to the server and send their data.
- Store a couple truecrypt containers to keep backups of school work, bills, etc.

So far, I've been looking at something like this Asus with 4GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. Too much? Too little?

I know it's not a pure hosting question, but based on the knowledge of the people who would be browsing this forum I thought I might get an informed answer. Plus, I'm already a registered user here, so I thought starting here would be best.

Thanks in advance.

You just try to find the web hosting or server of your type on different hosting types which provide a cheap and affordable web hosting and they will also fulfill your requirements. You just search it on Google you will surely get an excellent service provider for your need.

4GB RAM and a 250GB SSD sounds good according to how you want to use server
I would query google: intel atom 22nm silent 4GB SSD

You may benefit from a beefier configuration, Check for Intel i-series desktops with 8GB+ RAM.

Back