• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Open-source Control Panel Solutions

Don't even bother with Plesk. I was a loyal Plesk for 8 years user up until v10 was released. They've really gone downhill in recent years. I wouldn't even bother with them.

I'd say if you want to get people to join you for Free Webspace, they usually are looking for cPanel. I see some Hosts offering a choice of cPanel or DirectAdmin.
:)

If you can't afford the $15 or less per month to start a hosting service, I honestly question if you should be in the "business" in the first place. Nobody wants to use a free, open-source control panel.

If you can't afford the $15 or less per month to start a hosting service, I honestly question if you should be in the "business" in the first place. Nobody wants to use a free, open-source control panel.

This is very true. Another +rep deserving post that I can't +rep.

I was under the impression that Cpanel was more expensive than this, I hadn't realised you could get this on a monthly license.

With this in mind, I will consider installing this on our system, subject to user demand.

Don't even bother with Plesk. I was a loyal Plesk for 8 years user up until v10 was released. They've really gone downhill in recent years. I wouldn't even bother with them.

I think we should understand That's only your own opinion, some people may like it better. I don't. as I prefer cPanel, but it is not a reason to try making people act like you, is it?

I think we should understand That's only your own opinion, some people may like it better. I don't. as I prefer cPanel, but it is not a reason to try making people act like you, is it?

It's just an opinion, fool. Take it or leave it. Let that stats speak for themselves.

Open source panel is good only if you need that before you can get a decent one. When you have no panel however, one is pretty much needed no matter how little features it has. I think any with some sort of online editor is a must for now until you can get Cpanel, Plesk or DirectAdmin.

Open Source is where most of these software started PLEASE I am getting sick of reading people putting down the free/open source seen, Without open source you would not have the fast servers 80% of you use its uses LINUX or wait that's open source that can't be right, no wait it is, Open source sofrware is the way to go and I really think people should be using it more, there are more users hacking paied versions then opensource, cos its free they have no need to be hacking it, so saying its more this and that is wrong.

If more people was willing to be open source services would be cheaper as they would not have to pay the prices for lic's and then force there usrs to help pay that.

Don't be so closed minded please, I am shocked to read what people are posting, this says the freesebspace but your telling members no go get the Big Brothers version don't get the real mans version.

I could never stand plesk, it was horrid to me when I used it once, and it still is

This is very true. Another +rep deserving post that I can't +rep.
Repped for you lol

I'll go with djbrown and say I'd consider volunteering to use an open source panel for the spirit of it all. I'm such a basic user that unless it crashes it can't be all that bad if it can just upload files well.

I'll go with djbrown and say I'd consider volunteering to use an open source panel for the spirit of it all. I'm such a basic user that unless it crashes it can't be all that bad if it can just upload files well.

I am so glad to hear you would volunteer trying the open source version, I am glad there are still some of us around lol.

I exclusively use open source panels on my servers, the Virtualmin panel I offer having served me well from the start. Not only is it light on the server and highly effective at what it does, but it's also really easy to make custom features for.

So far the only complaints I get about it are "It's not cpanel" and "The file manager is wonky"

Unfortunately though a lot of people specify CPanel when looking for hosting because they are unaware that alternative panels exist that work just as good, and it is harder to promote a host without having CPanel available.

Unfortunately though a lot of people specify CPanel when looking for hosting because they are unaware that alternative panels exist that work just as good, and it is harder to promote a host without having CPanel available.

Actually, I would say it's the complete opposite. Most people know cPanel by name, and have been so irrititated by the immitations, and by custom panels by Godaddy and Bluehost and the like, that they want the real thing. Most people do not want a hybrid panel, or some open source alternative.

We used to offer some of the other panels, and have since gotten rid of them all. They were never popular, and still aren't. We're down to cPanel and DirectAdmin, and DA is also going to be getting the dump here real soon. I'd say 1 out of 100 shared/reseller clients actually want DA, and I can't think of a single VPS/Dedicated client (we have been offering dedis for about 10 years) who has ever wanted anything besides cPanel.

Just not attractive to most people.

I would say, if for selling shared hosting, cPanel is the one that you should install in the server, coz you need that "brand" to sell.
If you are only using it for yourself, or giving the hosting accounts out for free, then I think using these open source control panel is sufficient.

I've been deployed tons of VPS with open course control panels like Virtualmin GPL version, ISPConfig, and ISPCP for my clients who don't know how to use any Linux commands for hosting a few websites in the same VPS.
So far, none of them complain anything yet, as these control panel did a very good job to them, without the client need to spend extra money for a panel...

Back